Edge extension shows welcome popup at startup

tvanham
tvanham
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am using the beta version of 1Password and have the Microsoft Edge extension installed (after the installation of the 1Password application). At every boot it shows the 'please ensure the latest version of 1Password for Windows is installed on your computer before opening Edge to enable the 1Password extension for the first time', just showing me a button to download the application again. Quite annoying and the extension works fine in Edge, I have no issues using it. Is it me? Or because of the beta version?

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 7.1.565
OS Version: Windows 10, 1803, 17134.112
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Edge extension

Comments

• tvanham
    tvanham
    Community Member

And a screenshot!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tvanham: Thanks! Unfortunately this is not something in 1Password's control. If you have Edge set as the default browser in the current version of Windows 10, it launches on startup...and also launches the 1Password extension for some reason. There are only two option: simply close that window yourself any time it opens, or disable Edge as the default browser so it doesn't open it in the first place. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• tvanham
    tvanham
    Community Member

I am not aware how many people are using 1Password and Edge as their default browser, but wouldn't it be more friendly to not show this popup at all unless you click the extension in Edge and don't have 1Password installed? Why would it be showing anyway if 1Password is installed?

But if that's not possible there is a third option and that would be uninstalling the 1Password extension for Edge. For me it is - sadly enough - more realistic than the other two. But thank you for your comment.

• MikeT
    edited June 2018

Hi @tvanham,

Thanks for writing in.

I agree, it is not friendly, except one problem, we didn't code it like that in the first place. It started doing this on its own as soon as Microsoft released April 2018 update with a feature to try to make Edge faster and in the process, made the whole experience wrong for our customers. We've found a workaround, shipped an update, the next Windows update broke it again. We're still investigating for a different workaround but Edge simply is only designed for Microsoft Store Apps and doesn't like to work with desktop programs like 1Password.

but wouldn't it be more friendly to not show this popup at all unless you click the extension in Edge and don't have 1Password installed? Why would it be showing anyway if 1Password is installed?

If you de-select Edge as the default browser or used Edge as the default browser prior to April 2018 update, 1Password worked exactly as you suggested.

We're not sure why Microsoft changed the entire behavior of this out of nowhere but we're going to fix this one way or another.

We have this pinned as an announcement in the general Windows forum: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90472/if-youve-set-microsoft-edge-as-the-default-browser-1password-may-crash-upon-reboots-on-w10-1803/p1

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

Perhaps 1Password X for Edge could be pushed up the priority list a bit to make a better solution for Edge users?

• Hi @TheDave,

1Password X for Edge is already as high as it can go on the priority list, it's constantly on our minds. It is not that easy to simply port an extension like 1Password X to other browsers as it contains more browser specific code than what 1Password regular extensions had.

Not to mention, no standalone vault users will be able to use 1Password X, so it cannot be a replacement of what we have now. We still have to do both extensions but we'd like to see 1Password X out sooner for the moment if possible.

This discussion has been closed.