Has sync to folder remained in version 7?

Options
J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member

Has sync to folder remained in version 7? I haven't updated yet and just checking in advance.

thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync to folder

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@J_schwinn - yep! You can use Folder sync just as you always have in version 6. :)

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    Options

thanks Lars.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about the upgrade, mainly because v6 works great for me. I currently use folder sync and WLAN to sync iOS devices for the vault and I'd like to continue for both iOS and Mac's. I assume that there isn't much of a benefit to use the membership/subscription if I go that route and a license makes sense.

Are licenses only available within the application and what is the current cost?

If I install version 7 (mac), does it convert version 6 vaults or do they remain the same format, and prefs etc are independent for v7?

Does the iOS version 7 compatible version remove version 6 compatible version and if so can version 6 be reinstalled if needed?

Is there a way to test both versions on the same hardware and maintain a path backwards... just in case?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@J_schwinn

I assume that there isn't much of a benefit to use the membership/subscription if I go that route and a license makes sense.

Welll...what "makes sense" for you may not be the same as what makes sense for another user; that's one of the main reason we continue to offer both standalone licenses and 1password.com memberships. However, there are indeed many benefits to a membership. That said, if you're resolved to continue using WLAN/Folder sync, then yes, what you want is a standalone license.

Are licenses only available within the application and what is the current cost?

They will be $64.99 at regular price, but during the current launch special, licenses are nearly 23% off, at $49.99.

If I install version 7 (mac), does it convert version 6 vaults or do they remain the same format, and prefs etc are independent for v7?

1Password 7 for Mac will transfer over your entire database from version 6. It will reside in a new location in your Library folder, leaving the older version 6 data untouched (in case you need to revert). Everything else will be the same unless you have been using the Agile Keychain format for sync via Folder sync, in which case, you'll need to convert to OPVault. That should be something you do in 1Password 6 for Mac before you upgrade -- here’s how.

Does the iOS version 7 compatible version remove version 6 compatible version and if so can version 6 be reinstalled if needed?

Not sure what you mean. If you keep up to date with your iOS app updates, then you have likely been using 1Password 7 for iOS for a while now, possibly without ever noticing. If you really are still running 1Password 6 for iOS, don't worry -- you can use either.

Is there a way to test both versions on the same hardware and maintain a path backwards... just in case?

No. Well, I mean, you CAN...but it's definitely not recommended, as unusual behavior will result. You should have only one copy of 1Password installed on your Mac at any one time. I should make sure you're aware that there is no specific free trial of only the 1Password 7 for Mac app. There is indeed a free trial of 1password.com memberships, and all 1Password apps are included with the cost of a 1password.com membership...but there's no way to download and install 1Password 7 for Mac as a standalone app without either purchasing a license or being in Read-Only mode.

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    Options

then you have likely been using 1Password 7 for iOS for a while now, possibly without ever noticing.

Yes that is true :) we'll the good new is that it was a seamless transition and I really didn't notice!

That said, if you're resolved to continue using WLAN/Folder sync, then yes, what you want is a standalone license.

But the subscription version does support WLAN/Folder sync... correct?

all 1Password apps are included with the cost of a 1password.com membership..

I already have the apps for iPhones and iPads, will that stop or change with new versions and I would need to repurchase the apps?

And last, I am a bit "cloud-phobic"... which is holding me back from using the full feature set of 1password. And on that topic is there a weak link in the 1password cloud ecosystem that required travel mode? Can the vaults or cloud be cracked? Or, is the problem that someone will be forced to open a vault if it resides on their device. And, in that case wouldn't someone also be forced to unlock travel mode?

thanks again, I appreciate your patience...

• rudy
    Options

@J_schwinn,

But the subscription version does support WLAN/Folder sync... correct?

For local vaults, yes. Not for vaults inside of the 1Password.com account itself.

Rudy

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@J_schwinn - to just tack on a bit to what rudy said and make sure you're clear, there IS no "subscription version." Both standalone and 1password.com use the same 1Password 7 for Mac app. You can download it from our downloads page and either use it in standalone mode or with a 1password.com membership. But, as Rudy said, vaults within a 1password.com account can only be synced via 1password.com.

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    Options

Both standalone and 1password.com use the same 1Password 7 for Mac app

can a standalone license be converted to a subscription and the subscription be converted to a standalone?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@J_schwinn - not directly, no. The licenses are purchased through our FastSpring store (in-app), while memberships are handled via Stripe and directly within 1password.com itself. I'd recommend you try a 30-day free trial of 1password.com membership, which will give you a sense of both how you like the 1password.com membership model AND how you like 1Password 7 for Mac. If, at the end of that time, you decide you'd prefer a standalone license, you'd owe nothing on the membership, and if you decide to go with the membership, you just keep right on going with what you have. If you purchase a standalone license first, there's no easy way to transition over to a membership (well, I mean, you certainly can do so -- but you'll have already purchased the license).

This discussion has been closed.