1Password 7 layout issues

Options
kananga
kananga
Community Member

I've been in contact with support via Twitter, but decided to switch to posting this here.

I love 1Password. I've used it for many years. I've set up many friends and clients with it. That said, I have at least a couple of issues with 1Password 7.

In 1Password 6, in each item you would see the name of the account and the name of the vault. In 1Password 7, you see a little icon for the account and the name of the vault. Why was the name of the account removed? There's plenty of room for it in the layout. I have two business team accounts and a family account, and I am very frustrated with this. Who thought this was a good idea? The solution that was offered to me was to change the icon for each account. Please at least put in the option to show the account name.

Also, the table or matrix view was removed in version 6, and then later put back by popular demand. The new 1Password 7 look and feel is nice and all, but you just can't see as much information at a glance. I'm sure there are folks out there with more data in 1Password than I have, but I've got more than 1,300 items across three teams, and I need to be able to cruise through and access my data quickly. I know that a lot of work went into the making of 1Password 7, and there are some great new features, but the look and feel seems more focused on aesthetics than on the practical side of things. I think there must be a way to bring together the aesthetic and the practical.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@kananga - thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the new 1Password 7 with us, and your requests. Oh, and also? Thanks for being a 1Password user for a while now -- we feel very lucky to have such an engaged user base, and we never take it for granted.

Regarding the icons issue, that is indeed (under the current circumstances) the best solution. However, you're not the only one who thinks we ought to make that more explicit. It's already filed as a feature request, and depending on the feedback we receive, we may be making some changes in this aspect of 1Password 7 for Mac.

You're correct that a lot of work went into the new version, but (for lack of a better way to describe it) less correct (?) that it's focused more on aesthetics than on productivity. At least, that was never the goal.

I think there must be a way to bring together the aesthetic and the practical.

So do we. We're quite aware 1Password is very much a productivity tool, and we're of the opinion that good design isn't just how something looks, it's how it works. To the degree that we miss that mark, our goal will be to make adjustments and iterate as we go, in response to user feedback as well as our own impressions. So thanks for sharing yours, and keep 'em coming if you become aware of others. We really appreciate it.

ref: apple-1600

• kananga
    kananga
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - Thanks for your response. I really appreciate you taking the time to address my concerns.

With respect to the icon/logo being the only way of distinguishing between accounts within a specific record, I am happy to hear that you already have a feature request filed related to this. The tiny little icon just doesn't work for me, so at least having the option of using the account name instead would be great. Furthermore, if you are going to keep the icon paradigm, it would be great if you could change the vault icon (I don't see a way to do that) and also it would be great if you would maybe have a library of available icons to choose from instead of having to upload your own image. It puts extra work back on the user to have to fiddle with an image to make it optimal for your system.

I do strongly request that you add back the option to have the table view with the preview below. It just works better in some use cases.

Lastly, one thing I have always wished for in 1Password is the ability to open a record in a separate window, such that you could have two or more open at once so you could put them side by side for comparison, etc. Both this and the "preview below" option are very much in keeping with the "three pane" interface paradigm that you use for 1Password, which is very similar to the layout of many applications, most notably email clients like Apple Mail or Microsoft Outlook.

Thanks again for taking in all of this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kananga

Lastly, one thing I have always wished for in 1Password is the ability to open a record in a separate window, such that you could have two or more open at once so you could put them side by side for comparison, etc.

You can do that in any record in 1Password 7 for Mac. Click the "Open in new Window" icon at the top right, and the item will open in its own, anchored window, like this:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@harczuk - You're welcome to do what seems best to you, but we can't recommend you stay on a now-legacy version of 1Password. Yes, it's only been a couple of days more than a month since 1Password 7 for Mac was released, and version 6 is still working fine on many Macs around the world...but we can't recommend sticking with a legacy version no longer in development as a long-term strategy.

• kananga
    kananga
    Community Member
    Options

@harczuk Thanks for your reply. I have decided to forge ahead with 1Password 7 and make my peace with the parts of it that I'm not 100% delighted about. I am hoping they are listening enough to these comments that they will implement some of these things, although it sounds like the list view or table view that I like may never return.

@Lars Thanks for your reply. Obviously I had no idea you could open in a separate window. Why does it not have the standard type of behavior where you can double-click to open in a separate window? Also, please consider changing that icon/logo thing. Please.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kananga - the table view will likely not be back. I never say never, but this one is about as close as I'll come to saying that. Glad I could help you with the pop-out feature. Regarding the icon, in previous versions of 1Password, we used an anchor icon, and some users didn't like that one either. We're essentially at the size of user-base now that literally any decision we make will be hated by some fraction of our users. We try to make decisions that a) first of all, make sense and b) have value to the greatest number of our users. Thanks for weighing in. :)

• kananga
    kananga
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks. I do not recall the anchor icon. Honestly, I care less about the icon than about the fact that 1Password 7 does not show the name of the account. The tiny little icon is not enough of a distinguishing characteristic for me. Please consider putting back at least the option to show the account name as well as the vault name.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @kananga. As Lars mentioned we are evaluating how to best handle that going foward. I can’t make any promises, but it is being discussed.

Ben

• kananga
    kananga
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben @Lars Thanks -- in any case, it's good to know it's being discussed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.