Touch ID Alert Not Presenting

Options
ethankr
ethankr
Community Member

To whom it may concern,

My mom has used this app for years, multiple times a day. And to log in to each time she uses the Touch ID feature on her iPhone 6. As such she doesn't really know what her master password is.

Yesterday, her Touch ID stopped working all throughout the for some unknown reason. We ended up deleting all the enrolled finger prints and re-enrolling her thumb in Touch ID.

This seemed to fix Touch Id throughout the OS but 1Password was still asking for the master password. Which she didn't know and now she's beside herself with the thought of losing all her passwords just like that.

PLEASE HELP. THIS IS URGENT!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Unfortunately, the master password is crucial, and if it gets lost nothing can be done. AgileBits have no way of resetting the password, that would be a security risk (other password managers go for the risk in order to gain convenience, but AgileBits went for maximum security).

I am a little surprised that she has managed without her Master Password for so long. Among other situations, any upgrade of iOS would require the master password before TouchID can be used.

If she has some idea of what her password is, there are suggestions of ways to make various tries (such as changing lower-case to upper-case, and similar things).

The bad news is that unless she can work out her master password there is nothing that can be done. The good news is that she can try as often as she likes, nothing will get destroyed with multlple attempts.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for chiming in here, @danco. That assessment of the sitaution is accurate. I will add that we have a guide on troubleshooting this situation, which may provide some helpful tips, here:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password | 1Password

I’d also mention that while we (1Password) can never reset your Master Password with a 1Password Families membership it is possible for designated family organizers to help their family members recover from a forgotten Master Password. Further details about this are available in the above mentioned guide, and that may be something to consider for the future.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.