Will 1Password ever support OneDrive?

Options
doug_mcconnell
doug_mcconnell
Community Member

Would AgileBits ever consider allowing Sync via OneDrive? I pay for an O365 subscription which entitles me to 5TB of OneDrive space and apps for all my Apple devices. Sure would be nice to do that to avoid paying for iCloud Drive or Dropbox too...

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:OneDrive

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@doug_mcconnell,

We're not planning to add any other forms of standalone vault sync at this time. We're focused on providing the best user experience and we believe that to be 1Password.com for the vast majority of users who want to sync their vaults.

Rudy

• doug_mcconnell
    doug_mcconnell
    Community Member
    Options

That's too bad. The subscription model is going to start biting vendors soon. I'm getting tired of throwing money at a million vendors just to make something else work. Now it looks like I'm going to have to activate iCloud Drive just to make 1Password start working again.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@doug_mcconnell I used be vehemently against subscriptions. Still am to an extent. However, I can honestly say that I have no problems with a 1Password sub (Families for me). I fought it tooth and nail but finally came to the realization that this is one software category where I want to see continuous development, both from a functionality standpoint as well as a security standpoint. You want these guys staying ahead of the security curve. The 1Password.com experience has been flawless syncing across all of my devices and platforms. I can honestly say that the software is a joy to use.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks so much for saying so, @btownguy. Glad to hear membership has been working well for you. :)

Ben

• ahbb
    ahbb
    Community Member
    Options

Well I have to say that I agree with both comments. The one comment I find a bit odd is Ben's comment of 'We're focused on providing the best user experience'. This to me would include maximizing the amount of platforms we can sync on. Subscriptions are the way forward for software companies and I get that as it is the obvious way to increase revenue, profit (not dirty words by the way) and continued development. But and its a big but, if all software goes that way then it is utterly unsustainable from a consumer perspective as consumer outgoings on software subs are sky-rockting. Thus, and this is the point, it is almost imperative that services like 1Password maximise its compatibility with dependent services ie who it can syn through. This gives me the choice of who I use. Having to have Dropbox, iCloud and One drive subs just doesn't work from the end usrer's perspective and being forced down routes due to limited options will absolutely bite software developers as people will end up going elsewhere. So, 1Password, please please please can you live up to your 'focus on the best user experience' and ensure that you open up the widest choice of who we can sync with. This is what will keep you ahead of the game. Your software currently is amazing and I am keen to stay with it but end user economics and experiences will change that if you cant keep up with the obvious shift that is occurring in terms of end user costs when seen as a whole rather than just focused on your own product.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ahbb!

The one comment I find a bit odd is Ben's comment of 'We're focused on providing the best user experience'. This to me would include maximizing the amount of platforms we can sync on.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. One of the main reasons we began work on 1password.com to begin with was the difficulty of using advanced-yet-limited 3rd party sync APIs. We love both Dropbox and Apple, but each of their sync systems present unique challenges, all of which must be ironed out, supported, documented, etc. Over the years, we've had requests to add support for syncing via everything from direct USB cable to WebDAV to Google Drive to OneDrive to OwnCloud to...well, you get the idea. We could indeed have gone down each and every one of those rabbit holes, figuring out and working to support the intricacies of yet another 3rd party sync service that we don't control and can't guarantee will work from one version to the next. Or, we thought, we can create our own sync service (and much more) that allows us to focus on syncing ONLY your 1Password data, and does it surpassingly well, offering both features and security that's simply not possible with limited 3rd party sync APIs. So that's what we did because - as Ben said, we want to offer the best user experience, not the one with the most possible options for 3rd party tie-ins.

I confess to continuing to be baffled by the "subscription costs are skyrocketing" comments I keep hearing from users. Obviously, I have no idea what other software people are using, or what they're paying for it. But in the case of 1Password, the math for the cost of 1Password is significantly in favor of membership (vs. standalone license) in all but a few cases. If you are a single user with no family and only one desktop platform, then it's possible that a standalone license might be about as expensive -- or slightly cheaper -- for you than a 1password.com membership. But that depends on how often we release new full versions and what we charge for them. Standalone licenses cost $64.99 at "full retail" price. Right now, they're $49.99 during our "launch special" pricing. A single individual 1password.com membership is $35.88/yr, which is less than either of those two figures. That means if you go with a membership, you can use it for substantially more than a full year, with all of its advantages and access to all four of our native 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android), before you approach the cost of a single license for version 7 on ONE platform. In the case of the "launch special" pricing of $49.99, you could pay for a membership for a year and five months before it would become more cost-effective to have a standalone license. So if you think we won't release a new version that soon, it starts becoming more economical, barely, after 17 months to have a standalone license. And if you purchase after the "launch special" pricing for the full retail price of $64.99, then that figure is nearly 22 months. And if you start to factor in things like using multiple platforms (Mac AND Windows), or having multiple family members, then the math tilts even more heavily in favor of 1Password memberships as the less-expensive option. Standalone licenses are sold per-person and per-platform, meaning if you had a family of five who all used both Macs and PCs, each person would need a separate license for BOTH platforms -- that'd be TEN licenses (two each) - either $649.90 or $499.90 - or you could get the same thing for $4.99/mo ($59.88/yr).

Sorry for all the math noodling, but I just really don't understand the "subscriptions are so much more expensive" commentary -- they just are not. You could save money by simply choosing not to purchase new versions when they come out, I suppose...but I can't really recommend you do that with software as critical as 1Password. Maybe with something like a photo-editor or a game, but not for something you use every day and store your most-sensitive/important data inside.

Your software currently is amazing...

Thanks! :)

...and I am keen to stay with it but end user economics and experiences will change that if you cant keep up with the obvious shift that is occurring in terms of end user costs when seen as a whole rather than just focused on your own product.

I obviously know nothing about either your budget or your priorities, so it would be both ill-advised and improper for me to try to suggest what you should do with your software budget. We try to price 1Password sustainably so that we can continue to offer it, as an independent company that's not beholden to investors or a deep-pocketed corporate parent company. However, there are certainly less-expensive options out there -- some password managers are even free of direct cost for the end-user. It's always up to us to demonstrate to every individual user that what we offer is worth the price we charge, knowing that some of the alternatives are free as in beer. You're absolutely correct to point out that if we can't do that, then we won't survive. As one of the oldest developers in the password manager space, I think we've done OK on that score so far, but it's definitely a moving target, and we don't take anything -- especially our users -- for granted. I appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective with us here and hope you'll agree that 1Password does offer good value for the price. But if you choose to go a different direction that you feel suits your budget, security needs and usability requirements better, we'll be happy as long as you're not using sticky notes or reusing the same password everywhere. Stay safe out there! :)

• Espreon
    Espreon
    Community Member
    Options

After purchasing the 1Password standalone licence, today I find Dropbox is now limiting the number of devices with which I can sync data using Dropbox. I currently sync 1Password to multiple office and home computer and mobile devices. This Dropbox decision enables me to review my whole 1Password commitment. If I am to scrap the stand-alone software just purchased, I guess I also need to look at all the alternatives to 1Password whilst I’m at it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Espreon!

We built 1Password.com exactly to avoid having to rely on a third-party service to sync your data. Our own sync service does not have any limitations whatsoever, and is therefore the best method available to sync your data. 1Password.com does not limit us and our 1Password Membership customers when it comes to how many devices they are using and is therefore already our recommended option.

I hope you understand that we are not able to control changes third party providers decide to implement, and therefore prefer (and owe it to our customers) to controls things directly to offer the best possible service without relying on anyone else.

Not to mention, sync is not the only benefit of a 1Password Membership: everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family, team or business should you want to upgrade from an individuals membership later on... The list goes on and on.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Espreon - I'd just add to what ag_ana said, that if your purchase of a standalone license was recent, please reach out to our sales and billing team at sales@1password.com to see what they might be able to do to help you transition to a 1password.com account. This recent Dropbox decision is a perfect example of neither us nor our customers being able to control what goes on with third party sync services, but we don't want to leave anyone out in the cold feeling as if they've just recently spent money for something they now cannot use in the way they planned.

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member
    Options

I have to say, I resisted the subscription model, and I'm still lukewarm to it. But Dropbox forced my hand...

The team was very responsive to my same situation, with a recently purchased standalone license, and were as accommodating as I could have possibly hoped for.

Also, I must say, sync via 1Password.com is instantaneous, no exaggeration. It's frustration-free. Vastly superior to the experience with Dropbox. Obviously, as far as the value of that is concerned, your mileage will vary.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing your perspective @Jeffois. :)

I believe the OP's question has been adequately addressed and all the advice we can give on this and related points has been given so I'm going to close this but if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact us per Lars' suggestion above.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.