Win10 Sync & Login Troubles [Caused by BitDefender's firewall module, whitelist 1Password]

cbortz
cbortz
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hey y'all,

For the past couple of weeks, I've noticed that any changes made on my Windows 10 machine were sent to "Offline changes", and no syncs appeared to be happening from my account to my machine. Note: I have 1Password otherwise running on other devices, including:

• iOS (iPhone & iPad)
  • macOS (multiple machines)

On the Mac devices, I've had no problems. Back to Windows... tonight I decided to uninstall, reinstall, and re-authenticate. When copying my information and attempting to login (using the exact same password to log into the web interface) I'm met with the error message:

Your sign-in address, email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect.

I've re-checked my credentials multiple times. For reference, I've used both of these values for Sign-in Address:

What other information can I provide? Please help me, help you, help me ;)

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 64bit Version 1803 Build 17134.112
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cbortz: If you have an individual 1Password.com membership, then the sign in address is definitely my.1password.com. So you'll need to look at your other credentials. Definitely don't give them to us, but try entering your email address, Secret Key, and Master Password all manually. If any of these are even slightly off, the app will not be able to sign you into your account, and that's where you'll run into issues where offline changes pile up. Did you change any of your account credentials a few weeks ago or so? However, the other thing that can cause this is your account credentials not being wrong, but the login failing because something is preventing 1Password's ability to connect securely to the server. Do you have "security" software running that is interfering?

• cbortz
    cbortz
    Community Member

Thanks for following up @brenty. UGH! Bitten by the Defender again (BitDefender)...

For any poor souls wondering, BitDefender (without my request or permission) set the 1Password app to disallow any traffic on any network (public, home, office, etc). After editing the configuration to allow access, I can now connect to my 1Password account again. An important note might be that I definitely started having my issues after updating 1Password. It seems like I may need to re-check my Firewall configuration after any 1Password update.

That being said, a couple of questions/notes:

First, with regards to this:

the other thing that can cause this is your account credentials not being wrong, but the login failing because something is preventing 1Password's ability to connect securely to the server

I think it might be helpful to provide a message if this is the case. For example, if the client isn't able to connect to the 1Password servers, think it would be helpful to see that error rather than "Your sign-in address, email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect."

Second, it seems that BitDefender continuously has issues with 1Password. In the past year:

• I've been unable to update the app (due to a BitDefender false-positive)
    • I've been unable to sync/login (due to an unsolicited BitDefender auto-configuration)

It seems that my problems have always occurred when trying to update or immediately after updating. Have y'all reached out to them at all to possibly resolve these issues? It seems odd to me that I don't encounter these types of problems with almost any other app (sometimes for a game on Steam). Please note, I'm not blaming y'all for BitDefender's problem with 1Password. Rather, I'm hopeful that y'all can coach BitDefender on how to resolve the issue :)

Thanks again @brenty!

• Hi @cbortz,

We did get in touch with them a few times but every anti-malware solution reverts their changes that helped us at random times. The best thing you can do to help us is to get in touch with Bitdefender as well, they prefer to hear from their customers who can reproduce the problem.

What's strange is that I just tested BitDefender Total Security 2018 to reproduce a different problem and it had 1Password approved automatically in the Auto-Pilot mode, there was no blockage that some folks reported.

It seems odd to me that I don't encounter these types of problems with almost any other app (sometimes for a game on Steam).

1Password tends to get more false positives than other apps for one reason, we have a lot of encryption involved in our product. Given the increasing problems with randomware over the past few years, many companies are very suspicious of any process that has encryption payload included. They have the rights to be but it is a very thin line between malware with encryption payload and 1Password when using a behavioral algorithm to detect a malware.

I think it might be helpful to provide a message if this is the case. For example, if the client isn't able to connect to the 1Password servers, think it would be helpful to see that error rather than "Your sign-in address, email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect."

Here's the problem, there's actually a difference between a downed network state and an interference with the product, 1Password can get back responses but with errors instead that makes us think you can connect to 1Password but not get valid data.

• cbortz
    cbortz
    Community Member

@MikeT Thanks for your thoughtful responses!

That's super unfortunate that BitDefender is interfering with the response rather than blocking it. Nonetheless, I think I have an action plan in the event I encounter this again.

On that note, have other customers had similar issues with BitDefender? Would it be helpful to pin a message on this Windows forum with steps to remedy the issue? Happy to help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We hear from others occasionally having similar issues, but BitDefender is just one of many. If we posted an announcement for each of them, you'd have trouble finding the one that applies to you. And as Mike mentioned, it isn't consistent anyway. :(

This discussion has been closed.