Touch ID refresh/focus issue

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Touch ID not working for 1Password after MacOS reinstall.

Comments

• TiggerGTO
    TiggerGTO
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a different, but possibly related problem with TouchID. Previously on version 6.x and on the beta versions, if I used command-\ to bring up 1Password, it would pop up the 1Password 7 scan to unlock dialog with the ""1Password 7" is trying to unlock." message box on top of it, and the touch bar would show "1Password 7 Touch ID to unlock -->" prompt. Scanning my fingerprint would unlock 1Password. Very simple and straightforward flow.

Now on 7.0.4, the same two dialogs pop up, but there seems some sort of double refresh happening and it causes an issue with which one is getting focus. At first the main dialog is the "scan fingerprint to unlock" with the ""1Password 7" is trying to unlock" on top and the prompt on the touch bar. After the double refresh is done, the main dialog changes to a lock and "Enter Master Password", and the touch bar has two buttons in the middle -- a fingerprint button and an "Unlock" button. In order to scan my fingerprint, I have to either touch the fingerprint button first and then scan my fingerprint, or I have to give focus to the ""1Password 7" is trying to unlock" dialog and then scan my fingerprint.

I don't know if this is related to the "TouchID not working" problem being discussed in this thread, but it is certainly a hit to the usability of using Touch ID to unlock 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TiggerGTO: This does sound very different to the issue being discussed in the other thread, so I've split you off into a new one. This "refresh" thing doesn't sound like anything I've heard of before, but I also may be misunderstanding your deception. Would you maybe be able to record a video of this?

• TiggerGTO
    TiggerGTO
    Community Member
    Options

Are you thinking just recording something with my phone to show the keyboard and touch bar interactions along with the results on the screen?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TiggerGTO - if you think it requires simultaneous viewing of what you're doing with your hands with TouchID, then sure. Otherwise, a screen recording would be fine. Whatever you're most-comfortable with/equipped for. Thanks! :)

• TiggerGTO
    TiggerGTO
    Community Member
    Options

I have a .mov that I created on my phone showing the problem, but this forum won't let me attach that file type. How can I send this file to you?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@TiggerGTO - you can upload it to any trustworthy online file storage service like Dropbox or Box or what have you, and include a link here.

• TiggerGTO
    TiggerGTO
    Community Member
    Options
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TiggerGTO: Interesting! Does it do the same thing if you're not in Full Screen mode? I wonder if that's causing the weird focus issue.

• TiggerGTO
    TiggerGTO
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing even if not in full screen. I just did that so I wouldn’t have to clear away my work to make the video. I can replicate on an non-full screen if you want to see if there’s a difference.

• rudy
    Options

@TiggerGTO,

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• TiggerGTO
    TiggerGTO
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry... I did send a diagnostic report earlier. I didn't notice at the time, but when I clicked email the report, it automatically brought up the standard Mac email client which I don't regularly use. I think by default it chose the wrong email account to send from. I just tried again and got the BitBot response.

Here's the number: #NWV-49535-839.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TiggerGTO - thanks for the follow-up! One of us will be with you shortly. :)

ref: NWV-49535-839

• neonlaundry
    neonlaundry
    Community Member
    Options

I am needing an answer for this, too. My problem has persisted since upgrading to iPassword 7.x, as well. I'm happy to see I'm not the only one having the problem.

Has there been a solution to this?

• TiggerGTO
    TiggerGTO
    Community Member
    Options

I think I figured out the cause. I noticed that I had two 1Password extension icons on Chrome. When I installed the beta extension, the production (GA, stock, whatever you want to call the non-beta) version stayed active as well. The double refresh is probably each extension reacting to the hot key sequence. I disabled one of the extensions and the problem went away. Perhaps you can add a check in the extension code to see if there is another version installed and running and either take care of the duplicate extension automatically, offer choices of what to do, or at least put up a warning with suggested ways to fix the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TiggerGTO: Thanks for letting us know. That's not something that happens organically. You'd have to actually install both of them manually, as the page only has a single button for installing the extension (which will be beta or stable, depending on your selection). So you would have had to do that yourself. I'm not sure it's come up before, but frankly here we often have both installed for testing purposes, and I'm not able to reproduce the problem you were having that way. It's a bit of a mystery, but I am glad that using only a single 1Password extension helped in your case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@neonlaundry: Do you also have multiple copies of either the 1Password extension or app installed? I suspect not, but it never hurts to double check. If not, can you be specific about the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you are using, the exact steps you're taking, and what's happening? Thanks in advance!

• neonlaundry
    neonlaundry
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty No, I checked and it doesn't seem to be the case with me. In fact, I deleted and reinstalled the extension. This is a systemwide problem for me. Whether I click the icon in my main menubar or in a browser, I get the same problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@neonlaundry - OK. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#KBE-15716-821]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @neonlaundry only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: KBE-15716-821

• neonlaundry
    neonlaundry
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - sent. Thanks for the attention. I hope we can resolve it, as I'm sure it's something I'm doing/have done wrong.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@neonlaundry: Well, sometimes bad things just happen to good people. I'm sure we can help once we get a better sense of what might be going wrong in your system though. We'll take a look and get back to you shortly. :)

ref: apple-1872

This discussion has been closed.