explore for some login file in the backup file

Options
Eden Bensal
Eden Bensal
Community Member

ok so that is a bit complicated but i will try to do it simple. I have a old login that i have deleted and i need to recover it somehow.
Fortunately i have backups from the past 2 years. the thing is how can i only explore the backup file without import it all to 1password? or maybe there is any other idea?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: updated
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eden Bensal! Make sure you first look in the Trash for your deleted item—if you haven't emptied the trash manually, it should still be there, and you can restore it back to your vault. :)

Otherwise, you can follow the quick steps right here to restore your backup (yep, you will need to restore the whole backup) and look for your item in that backup!

• Eden Bensal
    Eden Bensal
    Community Member
    Options

the trash is empty.
    maybe create a new vault and then restore the backup would not affect the original vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Eden Bensal Unfortunately not. The backup files in 1Password are backups of your entire database, meaning: all vaults. You cannot just create a new empty vault and backup one old vault to that; you have to do the entire setup. The good news here is that you can restore old setups, find what you need and either export it or write it down or whatever else you'd like to do, then return to Preferences > Backups and restore to the state you were in just prior to doing the first restore. So, step-by-step, here's how you'd do it:

1. In Preferences > Backup, click "Backup Now." This will give you a current state of things to restore to after you're done.
    2. Still in Preferences, choose an older backup that you know will contain the item you need, and restore it.
    3. Find the item, and either use File > Export to export that item, or write down what you need, etc.
    4. Return to Preferences > Backup, choose the backup you made in Step 1 above, and restore to that.
    5. Add the recovered item into your current setup (if you want).

That should get you where you need to be. Let us know if you have any questions or problems, however. :)

This discussion has been closed.