Can I rename the 'Private' vault with 1Password 7?

iCoco
iCoco
Community Member

As I said: Can I rename the "Private" vault with 1Password 7, eg. to "Myname"? I am just asking to be sure before attempting it.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Account
Referrer: forum-search:rename private vault

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iCoco - no. That option is not currently available, as the Private vault is one of the default vaults in a 1password.com setup which cannot be edited.

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member

Thank you Lars. Thats what I know from 1PW6. I just had the impression that I had read somewhere that with 1PW7 I could now edit any vaults nam. And, right clicking > 'Edit vault' brings me to a window where I would be able to edit the name of the private vault (didn't try it yet, however ...) Just wondering.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iCoco - huh! I guess you can rename them, only in 1Password for Mac, however. The vault's name will not change on the server (if you view it through 1password.com in a browser), and I don't think that will carry over to other installations; it's a local-only option that you'll see only in 1Password 7 for Mac.

• iCoco,

This is a bug and will be remedied shortly.

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member

Thank you for making this clear. So I guess right now it’s better to stay away from renaming the „private“ vault ... even though it might make a lot of sense to do so.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iCoco - yup. I wasn't even aware this was possible, since I know it's NOT possible on the 1password.com servers. Although this wouldn't have been the first time we had Mac-specific features that were only available when viewing your data/vaults in 1Password for Mac (like Smart Folders in the past), it looks like this will be getting removed soon, so I'd avoid renaming your default vaults. Thanks for the question! :)

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member

@rudy @Lars Is the bug that it can be renamed on Mac or that it can't be renamed on Windows and in the server? I like that it can be renamed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It isn't intentional that it can be renamed currently, so changing it is buggy since it is unintended and unsupported in the apps. I do hope we'll be able to add that feature in the future, but there are also good reasons for leaving it as is. Just changing "Personal" to "Private" for group accounts years ago has caused enough confusion.

• prouast
    prouast
    Community Member

I just ran into a problem that must be related to this. I have a vault named "Archive" in 1Password for Mac, which is named "Private" when I log into 1Password.com. How can this be? I must have renamed it when this bug was active since I can't change the name on either of them now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prouast: Yep. You would have had to have renamed it at that time.

• prouast
    prouast
    Community Member

@brenty: Anything I can do about this? I'd like to use the vaults feature as intended.

• As far as I'm aware the only way to go back to the default naming at this point (where the built-in vaults cannot be renamed, by design) would be to sign up for a new membership and migrate everything over. If you'd like do that, we can certainly help you do so, but personally I don't think I'd want to go through the effort if I were in your shoes.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@prouast: If you'll shoot me an email at support@1password.com and include a link to this discussion, there's something we can try that might help.

ref: CWU-48527-892

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

I just wanted to ask if it's still not possible to rename the default vault "Private"? I want to organize all of my accounts in different vaults that match to their intention so I want to change the name of my private vault to e.g. my name if this would be possible?

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member

Yeah!!

• Hi all,

It isn't possible to change the name of the 'Private' vault, but you could create a separate vault with whatever name you'd like, and then change your All Vaults settings to remove the 'Private' vault from All Vaults and set the new vault as your default vault for saving.

Ben

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member

Thanks for sharing this idea, Ben.

For now, I have chosen avatar pics that help to distinguish vaults at a glance.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@Ben
    Thanks for the possible solution. 👍

@iCoco
    Is it possible to change the avatar of the private vault too? 🤔

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member

@DenalB: Yes, I did a while ago. Not quite sure how, but here's a screenshot:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@iCoco
    Thanks. I will investigate...
    But how did you get 1Password in dark mode? I‘m using Windows Desktop App and there is no option for that. Only my iOS app is using dark mode. 🤔

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB:

If you select the Private vault in the list and hover over it, you will see three dots next to the vault name. If you click on them and then select the Edit Vault... entry from the menu that appears, you will be able to choose the vault icon :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks a lot @ag_ana ! 😉

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member

@DenalB Dark mode is part of macOS Catalina. ;)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@iCoco 👍

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @DenalB! :)

This discussion has been closed.