Check for update failed because of problems with certificate

When I select the "Check Now" button in the Preferences -> Updates tab I get the following error:

Another strange thing is that I have "Automatically check for updates" enabled but the last time it was checked was April 27. I use 1Password daily so there should have been many checks between April 27 and today...

When checking for the 1Password version number to include in this post I also noted that the "Registered to:" field is blank in the About box. Why is that?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Hi @macke,

I moved your post to 1Password 4 for Windows topic, since you are using it. I hope you don't mind.

A valid certificate chain or partial chain was received, but the certificate was not accepted because the CA certificate could not be located or couldn't be matched with a known, trusted CA. This message is always fatal.

This message usually means that 1Password can't verify that the communication between your PC and our servers is secure. This can happen for multiple reasons. Sometimes PCs in corporate networks use SSL/TLS certificates issued by the company that provides network security, sometimes network traffic is being scanned in a way that will lead to 1Password not being able to guarantee that the information is attempts to send in encrypted form stays that way. Other times, the use of a proxy server will have this effect.

Is it your work PC? Is it mobile? Do you take it home sometimes? Because then, you might be able to check for updates in your home network. If you're using a proxy server, temporarily disabling it might help.

Moreover, please note that 1Password 4 for Windows is an old app that will not receive new features in the future. We released our new version of 1Password 7 for Windows, which is a paid upgrade for the current 1Password 4 license owners, but it is included for free, if you have a 1Password membership.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I will be happy to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• macke
    macke
    Community Member

Yes this is a company PC that is behind a proxy. Maybe they have changed something in the configuration because it use to work without any issues. I tried connected it to the company's "public" wifi network and then it worked, the update check reports no error.

Do you have any idea why I can't see the "Registered to:" information in the About box. I would guess that I should I be able to see my name or maybe email address in that field?

• Hi @macke,

Yep, that does sound like they've changed something on their side.

Do you have any idea why I can't see the "Registered to:" information in the About box. I would guess that I should I be able to see my name or maybe email address in that field?

That is now normal, we've stopped listing that information but we haven't removed that field from the About window. We probably won't do it since we've now mostly focusing on 1Password 7 for Windows but if we plan another update for 1Password 4, we'll remove that field.

This discussion has been closed.