Firefox 1Password 7 extension works different than chrome 1Password 7 extension.

There is an important difference in the behavior of the 1Password 7 extension for Firefox and Chrome.

The 1Password 7 extension for Chrome work in sync with the 1Password 7 application on Windows 10. That is, when unlocking in the application, the extension is also unlocked. Locking my desktop locks my vault in the 1Password 7 application and also the 1Password 7 extension.

The 1Password 7 extension for Firefox works independent from the application in Windows 10. Unlocking the application does not unlock the vault in the extension. Locking my desktop does lock my vault in the 1Password 7 application but leaves my vault in the extension unlocked.

To me, this independent behavior may cause the vault to be left open unwanted, which is a security issue.

Is 1Password aware of the difference in behavior between these two browsers?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• dvmierlo
    dvmierlo
    Community Member

It looks like there are two versions of extensions (for Firefox). A standalone version and a version that works in conjunction with the 1Password 7 application. When using the standalone version, unlocking my vault is different. It redirects me to the 1Password unlock website, which requires me to initially enter my secret key. The version that works in conjunction with 1Password 7 application requires only my master password because the 1Password 7 is already installed and unlocked (which initially does require my secret key).

After removing the 1Password 7 extension from Firefox and reinstalling it from the 1Password website (instead of searching in the Firefox available extensions) it seems that I have installed the version that works together with the extension. This version works the same way like the one in Chrome. Also the extension interface is the same as in Chrome.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dvmierlo: There's definitely no version "7" extension, but based on your description it sounds like you're referring to the 1Password desktop extension that works with the native apps and also 1Password X, which is completely independent, as it's designed for us in situations where an app cannot be installed — e.g. Chromebook, Linux, or corporate machines. If you're using a 1Password.com account, either will work. If not, 1Password X does depend on 1Password.com to function. It sounds like you're all set now, but be sure to let me know if you need anything else!

• dvmierlo
    dvmierlo
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for your quick reply!

I was thinking the same thing when reinstalling the extension. One version works directly with 1Password.com and the other one, the one I have currently installed, that via the 1Password application.

Everything works now as expected and I love 1Password. The new payed subscription has many great features. Features that I really love are the password check at HaveIBeenPawned and that I can access my information online in a very safe way.

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

Everything works now as expected and I love 1Password. The new payed subscription has many great features. Features that I really love are the password check at HaveIBeenPawned and that I can access my information online in a very safe way.

We're happy to hear that and you can expect Watchtower to get better soon as we're rolling out Breach Reports in the next Watchtower update as you can learn more here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/06/25/watchtower-we-shall-fight-on-the-breaches/

This discussion has been closed.