after the 1803 Win update, chrome helper reports back "couldn't connect to 1password"

on 7.1.167, no issues...just a big bucket of happiness. Win10 update applied the 1803 spring update. after the reboot the chrome helper extension reports the above message. i can start the app fine. i removed the chrome extension and readded. no change.

1Password Version: 7.1.167
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: win10 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:couldn't connect to 1password

Comments

• Hi @ja_duba,

Thanks for reporting this.

on 7.1.167, no issues...just a big bucket of happiness. Win10 update applied the 1803 spring update.

The understatement of the year, we've saw a massive spike of random problems as soon as 1803 was released. 😢

after the reboot the chrome helper extension reports the above message. i can start the app fine. i removed the chrome extension and readded. no change.

That's odd, we don't use that error message when using Native Messaging, that's a fallback to WebSocket error message.

What that means is that something is breaking the Native Messaging support in Chrome as 1Password 7 can only use Native messaging, websocket is not supported.

Can you check for Chrome updates? If Chrome is pending an update, it'll break Native Messaging. Click on the three dot on top right to select Help > About Google Chrome to install the updates.

• ja_duba
    ja_duba
    Community Member

MikeT,

Just confirmed I'm current on Chrome, Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) . Just Windows Defender, no McAfee or Symantec installed, thinking if anything might be trying to block the communications between chrome and the native app?? Everything was smiles and happiness before 1803 and that is the only thing that changed.

Is there something that can be spotted using chrome dev tools or a utility that could spot who / what is getting in the way?

Thanks for any insight

• Hi @ja_duba,

We’ll need to see your 1Password diagnostics report to see what it could be. Please use this article to generate the diagnostics report and email it to us at support+windows@1password.com. Please include the link to this thread and your forum username, so we can connect this thread to the email.

Let us know when you sent it, so we can confirm we got it.

This discussion has been closed.