Troubleshoot Android Chrome Autofill?

MikeWo
MikeWo
Community Member

I have a site that autofills correctly just fine on the desktop, but when I visit the site on my phone (Android 8.1 on a Pixel 2) and try the autofill it doesn't enter the data at all. Other sites on the phone do autofill correctly.

The behavior I'm seeing is that I go to the site and click on the textbox for the username. I see the autofill with 1 Password context menu and tap it. I use my fingerprint to log in and I'm shown the related login for the site. When I select the login for the site the dialog goes away, but instead of the data being filled in for username and password, nothing happens. It just sits there. Tapping on the textbox again doesn't bring up the Autofill context menu anymore after that unless I close the browser tab and go to the site again.

I have tried using the 1Password keyboard to enter the data, and that does work, but I prefer to use the GBoard keyboard and not be switching back and forth, so I'm looking for how to troubleshoot the autofill on an Android in Chrome. The only articles I found so far are for troubleshooting on the desktop, which works just fine.

1Password Version: 7.0 BETA-13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 8.1
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeWo: There isn't much troubleshooting that you'll be able to do. Filling on Android depends on the app and/or website either being compatible, or us finding a workaround for it. So we'd need to know the URL and the browser version you're using in order to test it ourselves in order to potentially find a solution we can implement in a future version. I can't promise we'll be able to get it working with any particular app/website, but if you'll let us know the specifics, we'll be happy to look into it. :)

• MikeWo
    MikeWo
    Community Member

Understood. Thanks!

The site is scoutbook.com (https://www.scoutbook.com). As I mentioned the desktop version handles it just fine, but visiting it in the mobile version on my Android the autofill doesn't put anything into the input boxes. I can confirm that my autofill in the Android chrome browser is working for other sites.

• Thanks @MikeWo. It looks like our accessibility service is having trouble filling here, which is what you're using in Chrome. Do you by chance have Firefox Focus installed? That browser supports Autofill, and I'm able to fill on this website there.

• MikeWo
    MikeWo
    Community Member

Is this something that can be corrected with the accessibility service in chrome? I don't have Firefox Focus installed. I'd really prefer to not have to have multiple browsers installed to use based on what site I'm going to.

Thanks for looking into this!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeWo: It isn't something that the accessibility service can do, no. It's fairly limited, and is a fallback for cases where Android Autofill is not supported. I suspect that it will work in Chrome in the future, but for now Firefox Focus, DuckDuckGo, and Brave are available. But personally I really like Firefox Focus because of its, well...focus on privacy. :)

This discussion has been closed.