iCloud Drive Not Available => No iCloud Sync

scurra
scurra
Community Member

Hi all,

I just wanted to leave this here: If you have iCloud Drive disabled in the settings or (like me) have a managed device with a profile or policy by your employer that forces this to be disabled, it will also disable the use of CloudKit (unfortunately), which in turn means no way to sync 1Password (or other apps) using iCloud. :-1:

I am pretty sure there is (as of writing this) no way around this. I wanted to leave this here in case someone is wondering why the error message says "iCloud Drive Not Available" while you can find plenty of posts that say that 1Password uses CloudKit which is different.

Hope this helps someone.

• scurra

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @scurra,

This is correct, on both iOS and Mac Apple links the ability to use CloudKit with the enabled state of iCloud Drive.

• Millard1990
    Millard1990
    Community Member

I hope this is the right thread to write this but. I'm using elcomsoft phone breaker professional edition. And every time I download the backup it says Icloud temporary unavailable but the other features works. And it's been like this for a week is there a fix for this? Because I don't want to think I wasted all that money and the feature doesn't work at all!

• Hi @Millard1990

That sounds like a question for Elcomsoft. We're 1Password. If you have a question about 1Password please feel free to start your own thread. :)

Ben

• oddysseey
    oddysseey
    Community Member

So, can 1Password sync over iCloud with iCloud Drive disabled, or not?
    I'm hearing all over that 1Password can indeed sync over iCloud, even though iCloud Drive is disabled.
    Is 1Password not using CloudKit, or have you found a workaround for using CloudKit without iCloud Drive? (Asking as a fellow developer :) )
    Thank you,

• Matt
  • Hi @oddysseey

We do use CloudKit and as far as we're aware that requires having iCloud Drive enabled.

Make sure that:
    iCloud Drive is enabled on all devices.

(from If you're having trouble syncing with iCloud)

:+1:

Ben

• oddysseey
    oddysseey
    Community Member

thank you, Ben, much appreciated.
    I have a customer with a company-issued iPhone, and through the company's device management, they've enabled iCloud, but disabled iCloud Drive.
    That results in my app not being able to sync anymore for that customer, however, they claim 1Password sync still operates for them - that's what has me puzzled...

• I would agree that is puzzling. Perhaps something Apple can address for you? We're definitely using CloudKit, and have been for some time. :)

Ben

• oddysseey
    oddysseey
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    just to close this out, I heard back from our customer, and they tested again. 1Password iCloud sync doesn't work after all if iCloud Drive is disabled - they were just mistaken.
    Thank you for your time,

• Matt
  • No problem @oddysseey. Thanks for the update. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.