Two factor authentication

Options

I am trying to log in to my account of System Award For Management. It shows me a code and says I need to enter a key in the app. And I can't find a place to enter that key. I'm sorry it's a basic question. Where should I enter that key code to get another code to sign in to SAM? Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I am trying to log in to my account of System Award For Management. It shows me a code and says I need to enter a key in the app. And I can't find a place to enter that key. Where should I enter that key code to get another code to sign in to SAM?

Comments

• hirotaka
    hirotaka
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I think I am currently using free trial version of 1Password. Is that why I can't find it the two factor authentication forum?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hirotaka: Thank you for contacting us. I'm sorry for the confusion! Indeed, it sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. If you've already signed up for the subscription, you can find this information on a device you've already authorized with your account:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

Otherwise, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

However, a 1Password.com membership is a great option, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Either way, let me know if you have any questions about using 1Password. :)

• hirotaka
    hirotaka
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. I'm sorry that it's complicated. I'm new to this app, and not quite sure how to use it. It's not like using 1Password account on another device. It's like using 1Password for two factor authentication. So, this is what I think is required. This website needs two factor authentication, and I can't use my phone number. It says we can use the app instead of providing phone number. We can enter a secret key on the website in the app. And we get another secret key, so we enter that new key on website. Can we do that with 1Password app? I couldn't find a place to enter that key. I tried to explain it as clear as I can, but I'm sorry for the complexity. Thank you for your assistance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hirotaka: Thank you for your reply! Complicated is an adventure for me, but I don't want things to be complicated for you if it can be helped. I'm sorry for the trouble you're having, but I'm sure we can get it sorted out! :blush:

I think I may have misunderstood your earlier comments. I'm sorry about that. Are you okay using the 1Password app already — you can unlock it with your Master Password and access your data?

It sounds like you may be trying to use 1Password to generate one-time codes to login to another website. Is that correct? If so, if that website uses the TOTP standard, 1Password can generate these codes for you:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

And if you'll let me know the website, I can try it myself and maybe offer some other suggestions. Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• hirotaka
    hirotaka
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hirotaka: Hmm. I'm not sure that I can get an account there to actually test this, but it looks like you should be able to copy the "key" into a new field in your Login item in 1Password and set it to "one-time password" to have it generate the code for you, like this:

Does that help?

This discussion has been closed.