1Password extension doesn't work with Yandex [not supported]

rostixman
rostixman
Community Member
edited November 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

I updated 1Password app for mac and extension for Yandex Browser, after that I can't fill in my password on webpages. How can I fix it?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.0.7 (70007001) App Store
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @rostixman,

I have bad news I'm afraid. 1Password does not support the Yandex browser and as a result will block any extension attempting to connect from this particular browser. 1Password incorporates a whitelist of supported browsers whose code signature is verified when an extension attempts to connect. If the process is not on the whitelist the communication is stopped. Supported browsers are:

• Safari (macOS only)
    • Edge (Windows only)
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Vivaldi
    • Opera
    • Brave

It is unlikely that this list will be expanded any time soon so things don't look good for the Yandex browser in terms of 1Password. Sorry.

• rostixman
    rostixman
    Community Member

It's so sad to hear it.

Why does not 1Password support Yandex Browser?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rostixman,

We've always been quite conservative about browser support in 1Password and rightly or wrongly, we believe that whitelisting a particular code signature will be seen as an explicit indicator that we deem a particular browser safe. As we cannot make assertions about the vast majority of browsers out there we purposely limit the list to those that we feel we can stand behind. I'm not saying we have reason to distrust the Yandex browser, it's that we are not in the position to draw a conclusion either way.

I would personally like to see greater browser choice and have raised the issue. It was discussed but the conclusion was to continue with the limited browser support as detailed above. I can only hope that maybe one of those listed will be of interest to you.

• rostixman
    rostixman
    Community Member

I see.

Is there anything that can be done by Yandex Browser to be added to your whitelist?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @rostixman,

It's isn't a case of us needing something from Yandex I'm afraid. If it had been as simple as that we would have reached out to them and I'm sure they would have been agreeable to helping. We're just not in a position where it is felt we can go beyond the current list of supported browsers.

• rostixman
    rostixman
    Community Member

OK, I understand, thank you. I hope that Yandex Browser will appear in your whitelist soon.

The problem with 1Password extension appeared after its update for both Yandex Browser and 1Password application for mac. Could you tell me how to restore the previous version of the extension and application so I can use it like I did before?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That isn't a browser we support, so it's not something we can fix for you at this time. It simply isn't possible for us to support every web browser out there. We put a lot of time and effort into compatibility with major browsers and that's where we need to focus our attention. You can use one of the browsers we do support, as lil bobby mentioned above. If you need help getting one of those setup, just let me know.

We'll continue to evaluate this and other alternative browsers though, and if it becomes justifiable to support it in the future we'll need to vet it and test it thoroughly before doing so. Thanks for letting us know your preference.

• rostixman
    rostixman
    Community Member

After 5 months, the extension still does not support Yandex Browser. Can anyone answer when the second most popular browser in Russia will be added to whitelist?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rostixman,

I apologise if I haven't been clear but at this point in time there is no plan to add support for Yandex.

• rostixman
    rostixman
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Why do you support Edge, Firefox, Vivaldi, Opera and Brave, but not Yandex Browser? Is Yandex Browser worse than them?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rostixman,

By adding support and having a whitelist at all we are implicitly suggesting certain browsers are safe. Yandex for us is an unknown. We're not saying it isn't safe, we're saying we just can't say anything about it. We adopt a cautious approach and only allow browsers we do feel confident in saying can be trusted. What we don't have are the resources to accept requests for expanding the list of supported browsers. For some people this may mean they decide 1Password isn't for them as it doesn't work with their preferred browser.

• rostixman
    rostixman
    Community Member

It is very sad to hear it, because I’ve been using 1Password for quite some time now, on phones, tablets and computers. 5 months ago I could conveniently log in using your extension, but after your update, lost this opportunity. Since then I’ve been waiting and waiting when you would add Yandex Browser to your whitelist.
    P.S. Honestly, I don't see the users of other browsers participating actively on your forum, so I think maybe you can find time and effort to solve this problem.
    P.P.S It may be worth letting the user decide if he trusts the browser or not?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I've seen a few people ask about Yandex but I've equally seen a few people ask about Cliqz. Neither is anywhere near the levels for the browser to be considered mainstream. Yes my own preference would have been if we had given the user more control in this area but that option was debated and ultimately it was not the decision made. As it stands there is no way I could argue for re-opening the previous discussion so for now the listed browsers are those that 1Password supports.

• rostixman
    rostixman
    Community Member

Probably the decision that was made was wrong or not perfect, as your customers get discomfort from your decision, it may be worth to raise this issue again and provide more convenient opportunities. You do not think that at the time when the client buys your application browser question is not in the least and after the client has purchased and used your application you take away from him the opportunity that he had originally. I think it is impossible to solve the problem in this way. What if you bought an iPhone 6s because there is a minijack and after six months of use, it would be taken away from you, I think you would not be happy about it and would demand to solve this problem!

And what does "I could argue for re-opening the previous discussion" mean? Your decision inconveniences the client without his consent, so please, find time and opportunity to discuss and solve this problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@rostixman: We didn't take anything away from you. And the comparison of removing a headphone jack from a device is absurd, and you know it. You were not forced to purchase the new app, and your consent is not required for us to determine what we have the time and resources to work on. I'm sorry, but we're not obligated to do whatever work is requested of us. You're not either. That's a good thing, because many people ask for many very different things, and it is neither feasible nor reasonable for us to do all of them. I know that you're not obligated to care about anyone but yourself, but the reality is that any decision we make inconveniences someone. That, however, is not justification for doing whatever you or someone else says, and frankly there are not enough hours in a day for that to happen anyway. It's important that we work on things that will help the greatest number of 1Password users, and supporting Yandex is does not meet that bar. 1Password has the features it has. That's what you paid for, and that's what you get. We will continue to develop it over time, but you should always make decision based on the existing product, not an assumption that it will change in such a way as to specifically to meet your additional demands in the future. If 1Password 7 does not meet your needs because it does not support Yandex, you're welcome to use something else. Take care.

• rostixman
    rostixman
    Community Member

I'm not saying you should do everything that users ask you to, but you should make every effort to return the functionality that you took away. Of course I always have the opportunity to start using another application, but 1Password suits me all, I just want seller to hear customer and return the functionality that there was at the time of purchase.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rostixman: The only thing we changed between 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 in this regard is that there is no longer an option to disable the security check, which made it possible for any app -- legitimate or not -- to connect to 1Password. We have no plans of reverting that change. Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.