Old passwords keep overwriting new passwords with dropbox sync

Options
estin1985
estin1985
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

I have a macbook pro and an imac. I changed my passwords on my imac, and then they sync to dropbox. Then I open my laptop try to login and it syncs the old passwords, overwrites then new password on dropbox. Then I go to my desktop and I cannot login there either because this app overwrote the new one and dropbox syncs when I open 1password. This has been going on for a month and I am about ready to drop this [language removed by 1Password; this is a family forum] password management app. I have updated my password for my banks and my bills over 15 times in the last two months because of this. Why is there not a prompt to overwrite or merge , or to select which to keep based on the date and time? If this isnt fixed real soon im done with your app.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Old passwords keep overwriting new passwords with dropbox sync

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @estin1985! I'm sorry for the trouble you're having just now. Let's see what we can do to get it straightened out. I edited your post above because abusive or potty language is not permitted in this family-friendly forum (even asterisked-out). Please refer to the forum guidelines if you're wondering whether something's OK to post.

1Password does not ever "overwrite" your data; if something's been changed in two different places since the most-recent sync, at most you'd get conflict fields. But 1Password is VERY conservative with your data, for exactly that reason - we know how valuable/sensitive most of the things users store inside our app are, so we take a very cautious approach; we don't delete or alter something unless we're as certain as we can be that's what you meant to have us do.

To get a better look at what might be going on with your particular setup, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#MTR-23514-893]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @estin1985 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: MTR-23514-893

• Crisis64
    Crisis64
    Community Member
    Options

I'm have this same issue as well, I update password on my mac, then I sync on my iPad, & new password gets overwritten, this issue is driving me crazy! I need to keep text file with new passwords. Also on my iPad I need to delete the record, before the new password stays in effect.
    Mac ver. 6.8.9(689001)
    iPad ver. 7.3

• Ben
    Options

@Crisis64

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please make sure the clocks on all of your devices are synced (date, time, and timezone) and that the devices are checking with an internet time server for the correct time:

If the problem persists after verifying that then I would recommend resetting sync completely. What service are you currently syncing 1Password with?

Ben

P.S. 1Password 6 for Mac has been retired and is no longer receiving updates. We'll do our best to help you troubleshoot any issues with it, but if it comes down to a situation where there is a bug the only recourse would be to upgrade to the latest version. You can read more about that here: https://blog.1password.com/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/

• Crisis64
    Crisis64
    Community Member
    Options

Yes this is the default setting across all apple devices, I have checked this already

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Crisis64 - if you're using Dropbox as your sync method, we've actually got a great troubleshooting guide you can use to figure out what's wrong. If you're certain the system time is set correctly everywhere, then that's the next step I'd take. Let us know how it goes! :)

This discussion has been closed.