Exporting Mac Keychain into 1Password. 1.10 scripts not working at all. 1.09 only partly working.

Options
prae
prae
Community Member

I would like some advice about exporting the mac Keychain into 1Password. I have read the many, many discussions about this process and nothing has worked fully.

OS 10.11.6

Where I am now. I found the converter package 1.10 after some considerable squirreling around since it is not directly linked from the 1Password site (the site still points to 10.9, see later). If I try to use the 1.10 converter on my local keychain I get the following (and yes I am using the correct password! I checked gain using the real mac keychain access app)

Failed to decrypt the keychain - did you supply the correct password?

Not much help there. The dialog box does not accept any alternative keychains, but the default appears correct.

Where I had reached previously several hours earlier.
Using version 1.09 I had successfully exported my local.keychain to the text file and imported that into 1Password. The only snag is that all that appeared to have been exported was the local part of the keychain as advertised which does not contain much of importance. What I really want, it appears, is the Local Items keychain where all the website login details are stored. They are what I actually want to collect from several computers and collate into 1Password to save a bunch of typing. With the amount of wasted time so far I would probably just be better off having done this task manually. Can anyone suggest how to get the Local Items to export together with the other less useful dross?

Thanks

Philip

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prae
    prae
    Community Member
    Options

I have spent way to much on this owing to a lazy Sunday, but I have partially answered my own question.
    It turns out that the Local Items keychain was an apple change a few years ago to facilitate what they wanted to do later with iCloud. It is in a different format than normal keychains and so difficult to work with.
    My partial success follows.

In the keychain app right click next to Local and create a new keychain of regular type and create a password. Go to Local Items and select only just the logins etc that you want to copy to 1Password. Right click and copy those items. Select your new keychain and right click to paste. Now the tedious step. You must type the original keychain password for EACH item. Very tedious and I doubt this can be automated any more owing to security changes with automation.

Next you export the new keychain as per the converter instructions except you have to change Local.keychain to the new-name.keychain. This will involve typing the password again (50 items, 50 password entries)

From there the instructions are correct to add them to 1Password.

The logins are now in 1Password. To be frank, unless you have hundreds of fiddly websites already entered, you are probably better off just entering them manually into 1Password from the Keychain app and using copy and paste.

Hope this helps others

Philip

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Options

@prae,

Sorry for the troubles. This post provides what was likely the answer. You're using an old version of macOS, and I had to update the keychain converter to work with its installed openssl software.

You would want the 1.10 version of the converter suite, which is now as you've discovered, in Stable Bits. Agilebits has this, and the Github repository is awaiting their update.

This discussion has been closed.