To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to move from standalone 1Password 6.8.8 license on my Mac desktop to 1PW.7?

Options
edteck
edteck
Community Member

I have a standalone 1Password 6.8.8 license on my Mac desktop. I downloaded 1PW.7 and cannot set up. I do not have a sign-in address, secret key or master password. Because I never created a 1PW.com account, I cannot scan a setup account. The 1PW install has overwritten my 6.8.8. Please help. I'm without 1Password on my desktop.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:Have standalone license. Cannot transition to IPassword 7.

Comments

• crom
    crom
    Community Member
    Options

subscribing. I am in exactly the same boat but decided not to install the v7 download as I can't even find out how much the standalone update costs - I'm not bothering to install. I understand that AB are trying to push everyone down the subscription route but not even putting this information on the website pricing page seems ridiculous if they are going to bother to offer this route - perhaps because if people did the sums...or maybe I'm just cynical.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

When you first launch 1Password 7 for Mac after installing it you’ll get a welcome screen that looks like this:

If you’d like to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac select the “Need a license? We have those too” option. Pricing was discussed in our announcement of the upgrade:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever - AgileBits Blog

We’re no longer marketing standalone licenses, and as such you won’t see them listed on any of our marketing pages, but they are still available for those who know they want to go that route.

Ben

• crom
    crom
    Community Member
    Options

how much is it? I'm not sure why v7 has a cost attached to it but need to know how much it is before i waste my time.

Am I right in assuming that the latest v6 will still get security upgrades?

• Ben
    Options

@crom

Licenses are sold on a per-person, per-platform, per-major version basis. They are essentially the "a la carte" option. If you'd like the all you can eat buffet (which has the same options on it as the cart, plus dessert) then membership is for you.

Pricing on 1Password for Mac can be seen in our announcement post that I mentioned above:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever - AgileBits Blog

I'll quote the relevant bit here:

1Password 7 is included free for everyone with a 1Password membership. Simply unlock 1Password after downloading and you’re good to go.

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have. 1Password 7 for Windows will be released next week as a separate purchase.

You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@crom You say you're not sure why 1PW7 has a cost attached.

If anything, the question is why 1PW5 and 1PW6 did NOT have a cost attached.

For most licenced programs (not all, certainly) major upgrades carry a cost. ;AgileBit were doing customers a favour when they did not charge for earlier upgrades, but unfortunately thi has led to an unrealistic assumption that all upgrades would be free.

Of course, with a subscription you do get all upgrades on all platforms without any extra charge.

• crom
    crom
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben - very helpful.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome @crom. :)

Ben

• crom
    crom
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry...1 more Q: Is the launch special still running or have I missed it?

• Ben
    Options

As of writing... it is still on. Couldn't say how much longer that'll be true for. When we initially launched 1Password 7 Dave said he expected the sale to last "a week or so." That was a few weeks ago. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.