iPhone stolen, trying to access via iCloud account with no success

shiramia
shiramia
Community Member

This is weird, since a similar scenario happened to me 5 months ago.
My iPhone X was stolen. I'm now with iPhone 6 with iOS 11.3.1
I didn't have an account with 1password, and I was using it only on my iPhone.
I've downloaded the app, and tried to access my items via iCloud. 1password found my vault stored in iCloud, and asks me to enter my Master Password.
I assume my master password is the password I used to access 1password on my phone. However, that doesn't work, how many times I've tried.
Could it be because the previous iPhone was stolen and probably was formatted?
What are my options now to restore my passwords without starting it all from scratch?
I have my password for my icloud. I don't have an account, I don't have it on any other device.

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.3.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@shiramia: I'm sorry to hear that. The good news is that in order for someone to change your 1Password data in iCloud, they would have to know your Master Password to unlock 1Password on your phone and have it erase the data, and they sync new data there. The bad news is that you won't be able to get your data out of it without the correct Master Password, and it could have been different from what you setup in 1Password on your iPhone. Are you certain you were syncing 1Password with iCloud when your phone was stolen? You could have been using another sync method or none at all, and the iCloud data could be something much older that you perhaps forgot about. There's no harm in trying to enter the password many times, but you will not be successful unless you enter it correctly. Let me know how it goes.

• shiramia
    shiramia
    Community Member

Thank you @benty. What is the master password if not the password I would enter my 1Password iphone app?
    I bought the iPhone X 4-5 months ago, and when I switched from my old phone to the new one I've used the iCloud to access 1Password app. That's why I thought it would work this time as well.
    I will try a few more passwords..
    If I don't succeed, what would you recommend me to do, when starting all over?
    Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@shiramia: If you setup 1Password with a local vault on your device at that time, it would be completely separate from iCloud. Do you have your old phone? There are really only two possibilities here:

• You're simply entering the Master Password incorrectly.
    • You setup a different Master Password for the data you stored in iCloud than what you were using locally on your device.

Either way, I really won't have the answer for you. We don't have any information about 1Password users' data or the passwords they use to encrypt it.

The only other (long shot) possibility is that you were using an old version of iOS, 1Password, and therefore iCloud on your previous phone. Like, iOS 7 or earlier. I suspect that's not the case, but let me know.

Otherwise, at this point, I guess I have a few questions. Unfortunately we won't be able to help you recover your data, as we never have access to it. If you don't have it stored anywhere else, you will need to start over. There just isn't any way around that. But if you'll let me know what else you have to work with, I'll be happy to help walk you through things.

Did you backup your 1Password data at some point?

https://support.1password.com/backups/?ios#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-local-vaults

Did you copy it to other devices, or sync it somewhere?

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

I know you mentioned that earlier, but I'm hoping there's something you forgot. Let me know and we'll go from there.

• shiramia
    shiramia
    Community Member

Thanks @benty. I've decided to delete the icloud backup for safety. I've created a new vault, and from there I've deleted the icloud backup. I followed your instructions here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/51815/how-can-i-delete-an-old-icloud-vault-for-which-i-dont-remember-the-password

Did that cover it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@shiramia: It's not what I was suggesting since I thought that you wanted the data you had in iCloud, but if you're just trying to start over with a new vault then that would allow you to clear out the old iCloud data so you can setup 1Password to sync via iCloud again with the new. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

This discussion has been closed.