Saving a Password after the website get passed ?

Options

Hi,

i am new to 1Password - switched from Lastpass.

I love the the watchtower and i want to change some duplicated password in various website,
when i am changing the password, 1Password will ask me the update my login info once the suggest password is generated.
However, the new generated suggest password are not always fit into the website so it will override my old password with a non-valid password. e.g Password Length is not match, Symbol not allow , Its a PIN Code not the random password, etc.

Q1 : i am wondering why 1Password is saving the generated password BEFORE the password is actually got passed on that website.

Q2: is it possible to control the length/combination before generate ? i don't want to click the extension -> Password generator -> Adjust the length / Combination -> Copy the generated password -> Find the login item -> edit password -> paste the generated password -> Save

or it actually i don't know how to use it in a right way?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gordonho: First of all, welcome to the forum, and thanks for choosing 1Password. Great questions! :)

Q1 : i am wondering why 1Password is saving the generated password BEFORE the password is actually got passed on that website.

We don't currently have a reliable way of determining that a login attempt was successful, and then loading 1Password X to save the login credentials at that point, but perhaps we can do something like that in the future.

For now, what you can do is not save the login upfront, sign into the site, and then once you're confident your account is setup go and save the login on the website's login page. That way 1Password will also have the URL you'll want to go to when opening that login in the future.

But you're probably wondering about your password. After all, you didn't save it initially! So long as you used 1Password X to generate it, you can find it in the generator history:

That can help in a lot of situations. :)

Q2: is it possible to control the length/combination before generate ? i don't want to click the extension -> Password generator -> Adjust the length / Combination -> Copy the generated password -> Find the login item -> edit password -> paste the generated password -> Save

Yep! Just open 1Password X and go to Password Generator when you need a strong password for a site, adjust it as required, and you'll be able to find it there in the generator history if needed too.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.