[Feature suggestion] New category to store e-gift cards and coupons

alexyang
alexyang
Community Member

Hi,

I have been using 1password for months now and it has been very good. No complaints at all. As we now have more and more gift cards in electronic form (a card number/coupon code and pin and a remaining value), it would be nice if 1password can have a category to store this kind of cash-equivalent items.

Currently I am using the Secure Notes to store them, but I found it not easy to update the remaining value in the text editor on the phone. Using Membership or Reward Program seem like an overkill, as these items normally don’t have a name or expiry date on them, and it would be strange to see them alongside my airline memberships.

Thanks again for this fantastic app!

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

Hi @alexyang

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

At present time we do not have plans to add new categories to 1Password. Instead, as a long term goal, what we'd like to be able to do is allow customers to create their own templates/categories. The difficulty becomes that everybody wants something slightly different, and if our developers spent their time creating item templates for every demand they'd have no time to do anything else. ;) But if customers could create their own templates that would be a much more flexible and efficient solution.

I can't make any promises about that at this point, but it is an idea that we are brainstorming around. In the mean time something like this is already somewhat possible using Secure Notes and custom sections:

AgileBits Blog | Secure all the things in Secure Notes

I realize you mentioned you’re already using Secure Notes, but it doesn’t sound like you’re using custom sections, which may make this easier. It isn't quite as elegant as a true custom template feature might be, but it may be sufficient until something like that exists.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• _onepass3_
    _onepass3_
    Community Member

I second this request. I have often wanted the ability to store e-gift card and physical gift card information within 1Password, not as a Secure Note but rather as its own entry.

Thanks for all your work on the app over the past couple of months! The application keeps getting better and better.

• Thanks for the kind words, and for taking the time to voice your interest in something like this. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.