To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have the app on my mac I sign in but I can not find my secret key

Options
megandtrav
megandtrav
Community Member

I have the app on my mac I sign in and then when I click account it asks me to sign in and then I can't cause I don't have a secret key I tried to look up my membership and I can not find it yet I did pay a fee and I do use the product

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:i have a problem with logging in

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi @megandtrav,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble finding your Secret Key! Do you by any chance have your Emergency Key that you should have received when you first signed up? If not, there are a few other things you can try to recover it:

https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

Let us know how that goes and we'll continue from there.

• sdlizlem
    sdlizlem
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem as @megantrav "I have the app on my mac I sign in but I can not find my secret key"
    I have the app on iphone/ipad/macbook air and iMac. Cannot find secret key or QR code. There's no information in AppStore that I can see. Recently upgraded to subscription.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Let me point out that if you have a stand-alone licence, then you do NOT have a secret key (or QR code). These are only relevant for subscriptions.

I suspect that you both have just upgraded to 1PW7 and the transition from 1PW6 to 1PW7 can be slightly tricky. You can stay with 1PW6 (or revert to it if you have installed 1PW7 already). This is not recommended as a long-term solution, but may be simplest for the moment.

If you are going with the licence, you will have to pay again for 1PW7 as this is a major upgrade. Or you can subscribe, see https://support.1password.com/why-account/ for reasons to subscribe.

Also note that though 1PW7 direct from AgileBits can be obtained either with a licence or with a subscription, the App Store version is subscription only, for reasons connected with App Store pricing.

If you give more details of your setup, and what you would like to do, we can tell you how to do it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sdlizlem: Indeed, it sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

But if you did sign up for a 1Password.com membership subscription account, you can find your Secret Key and Setup (QR) Code in your Emergency Kit. Either way, let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• sdlizlem
    sdlizlem
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

@brenty thanks! I still need help! On July 13, I signed up for a 1Password.com membership subscription through Apple's App Store. I received a receipt for it. But I don't have an Emergency Kit that I know of. Can you help me find it? I've followed the recommended steps listed without success.
    The screenshot is what appears when I tried to sign into 1password 7.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sdlizlem

I signed up for a 1Password.com membership subscription through Apple's App Store. I received a receipt for it. But I don't have an Emergency Kit that I know of.

You would have been prompted to create and download/print your Emergency Kit during the first login to your 1password.com account. Just as always, you need your Master Password every time you want to unlock your 1Password data, regardless of whether you're doing that in one of our apps, or on the web. But with 1password.com, you ALSO need to provide your Secret Key the first time you sign into your 1password.com account from an app or using a browser. Once you do it the first time, you no longer need to enter the Secret Key each and every time you sign in because the app or browser will remember the Secret Key in memory for you. But the Emergency Kit is a way to make sure you have a copy of your Secret Key and other sign-in details so you can sign in under any circumstances.

The screenshot you're seeing is part of the setup flow of 1Password 7 for Mac. 1Password 7 stores its data in a different place on your hard drive than earlier versions used. So, when you install version 7, the first time you run it, it will look to see if you have data from an earlier version and import it for you. But there's a bit of a twist: in the past (version 6 and earlier), there were two "flavors" of 1Password: the version downloaded from our website, and the Mac App Store version. Due to sandboxing restrictions, these two versions did not store their data in the same place. So, when you install 1Password 7 for Mac, if it finds old version 6 data in either the Mac App Store location OR the location where our version stored it, it will be imported. But, if you were for some reason using both versions at one point or another on your Mac, then the setup flow will not know which dataset you want to use, and so it will ask you. That's what you're seeing in the screenshot you provided: 1Password 7 for Mac's setup flow discovered data from both our version of 1Password 6 for Mac AND the Mac App Store version, and it's asking you which you want to use. I can't offer you any suggestions on that score, since both versions appear to have been used as recently as yesterday, and the item counts are very similar. Choosing one of them will import that data, however, so once you do that, let us know what things look like, and if you need any further assistance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sdlizlem: I can't tell you which will be better either; only you would know. But I suspect that, if you've recently created more items than you've deleted in 1Password, the second (higher count) is probably the one you want. Otherwise, if you've been doing some late-spring cleaning, the first (lower count) makes sense. :)

This discussion has been closed.