Price - different from home page

In home page I see:

• personal $2.99 (per month if billed annually)
  • family $4.99 (per month if billed annually)

But from my account, if I try to subscribe I find:

• personal $3.65 (per month if billed annually)
  • family $6.09 (per month if billed annually)

Why?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

Typically, this sort of thing happens because there may be tax to be added.

On the home page, prices are shown without any tax because at that point AgileBits does not know in what country you are.

But further on in the procedure, they may know your country and then are required to add the relevant tax.

In what country are you?

• Oh yes, perfect.
    The difference is exactly 22%, Italian VAT :)

Tks for the help!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

That would explain it. Sorry for any confusion on that point. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks for chiming in here danco.

Ben

• To add up on this it is ilegal in the EU to advertise a product/service without stating all the incurred charges applied. When browsing your EU prospect pages there is no mention of any of these VAT charges. Secondly this could be understood as unfair competition to the rival products, as the price Im sold (2.65€) is not the price I will pay.

After completing your 1 month trial (and loving the product) I got pretty upset to see a 23% increase after inputting my cc info in. At the end, I'm not buying a 2.65/month product as it was advertised.

I understand this is norm in Canada and the US. But not here in Europe.

You could even face a lawsuit on this for false advertisment.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/pricing-payments/index_en.htm

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@jpcafe - thanks for weighing in, and I'm sorry for the surprise. The difficulty here is that we don't know what country you're in until you sign up, so it's impossible for us to correctly calculate your final price, much less show it to you. We show it to you as quickly as we can, but we can't read your mind. :)

• If you don't know you need to add a disclaimer to your brochure pages.

I'm sorry but that's no excuse. It's unfair for the customer.

I've went through a 30 free trial, explored the service for the period and I've just found out that "detail" after entering my cc in.
    The VAT charge disclaimer is nowhere to be found.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@jpcafe - I'm sorry you're frustrated, and I'll definitely pass along your feedback. I'm glad you've enjoyed the thirty free days, and while we'd love to keep you as a customer, if €3,23/mo is too expensive in your opinion where €2,65/mo was not, I'll understand if you want to pursue other options for password management. As long as you're using something, we'll be happy. Good luck! :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jpcafe: Indeed, as Lars mentioned, we have no way of knowing you're in the EU until you tell us. I don't think it would make sense to show EU-centric pricing on our website when the company isn't based there, most of us aren't based there, 1Password.com is not billed from Europe or in Euros, and I don't believe that most of our customers are there either. I think that would confuse a lot more people. It sounds like we told you the exact price for you as soon as you told us where you live:

After completing your 1 month trial (and loving the product) I got pretty upset to see a 23% increase after inputting my cc info in.

I'm sorry that's not what you were hoping for, but I don't see how that can be avoided. We're open to suggestions though.

• What's confusing is having a 20%+ charge after a 30 day trial.

As I said you should add a disclaimer whenever you advertise your price. After all you're not a 2.65€/month service are you? The VAT will always be there even if it's 0% for that country.

The suggestion is:

Right below your price in the EU prospect pages add "excluding VAT".

By curiosity is this information listed anywhere in your complete sitemap? I browsed all the pages I could find and didn't manage to see it.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@jpcafe - It is, but as both brenty and I mentioned, we don't publish it elsewhere because a) we don't know where you live until you tell us, b) taxes vary from country to country, from 0% all the way up to 20% or more and c) people tend to be familiar with the local tax rates already. We do appreciate your feedback, however. :)

• There's nothing stopping you from adding a disclaimer to your prospect pages, even if you don't know the country.

• As you said VAT goes from 0% up to more than 20%, which means that a disclaimer saying "excluding VAT" under the price is accurate for all the scenarios.
    Anyways, went to the competition because of this. All the best for you.

• On the subject of VAT and taxes....I have 1Password for teams in the UK - Where do i input my company VAT number? Or check that it's already there, i can't seem to locate it. I just want to check before i process the invoice with my accounts.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback @jpcafe.

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Rollemtam,

Please reach out to our business team at [email protected] for assistance with that. :)

Ben

• Cheers @Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:+1:

Ben

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member
    edited August 2

@jpcafe - all the best to you, as well. Stay safe out there. :)

ref: FHI-28868-452

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file