To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Directions for changing from a standalone license to a membership?

Comments

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member

Ben, where are the directions for those of us changing from a stand alone license to a membership? I've downloaded v7, but the set up screens don't appear to include "Already have 1P" or "Link to existing vaults" options.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PaperQueen: Sorry for the confusion there. It isn't our intention to force anyone to switch to a membership, so it's not something we push when you're using a local vault in the app. But we have a great guide for migrating to 1Password.com:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That will take you all the way through signing up, migrating your data, and setting up all of your devices. And if you have any questions along the way we're here for you. :)

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member

Therein lies the problem, @brenty. I downloaded v.7, launched it, and typed in my master password. After that:

1. Menu items > 1Password > Preferences > Accounts tab
    2. Clicked + symbol
    3. Clicked Scan Setup Code
    4. Selected option for scanning from 1P website
    5. Logged into the 1P website > account > Get the Apps
    6. Scanned QR code
    7. Entered master code again, as asked
    8. Received an error saying:

"1Password Account Already Added
    This member from [my name] has already been added to 1Password and cannot be added again. You can add members from other Teams and Families."

I've followed the steps--repeatedly--and get this result every single time.

At no time am I presented with an option to migrate, move, or transfer anything. See attached.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PaperQueen: Gotcha. If you already signed into your account in the app previously and declined to migrate at that time, you won't be able to sign into that same account. But you can go to Help > Tools > Migrate Primary Vault to Account to do it instead. Let me know how it goes. :)

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member

That's the thing. I kept looking for a prompt to open an existing vault, but never received one.

Also, the Help > Tools > Migrate Primary Vault to Account is a no-go. The option is greyed out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@PaperQueen: Thanks for letting me know, but can you provide some more information? Do you have a Primary vault setup in 1Password? Do you have any secondary vaults? Are you trying to do this when 1Password is locked, or when the Primary vault is not selected?

ref: MDG-95725-823

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member

@brenty

1. There are two vaults in Dropbox > 1Password folder: 1Password.opvault (the Primary) and Archived Items.opvault (self explanatory). Both were created and fully useable in previous versions of the 1P stand alone app (most recently, v.6). See screenshot.
    2. As noted in my earlier posts, I have logged into the newly downloaded v.7 application, and been unable to find any way to link v.7 to these existing vaults. As you can see in yesterday's screenshot, the option to "Migrate Primary Vault to Account" is grayed out. Version 7 only includes one vault, which is empty ("Primary"). Once logged in, I assume that's the vault I'm in, since there are no other vaults.

I can't imagine there's a way to do this without first logging into the app, but if that's incorrect, please explain.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@PaperQueen: If you mean that you haven't setup any vaults in 1Password yet, just select the Dropbox option:

And then choose the vault you want to setup as Primary (probably "1Password.opvault"). Once you have that setup in the app, you can simply double-click "Archived items.opvault" in Finder to open it in 1Password.

Otherwise, if you've already setup 1Password without any local vaults, that will be disabled. Then the best option would be to make sure you have your Emergency Kit for your 1Password.com account saved, and then reset the app. That will get you back to the setup screen.

From the setup screen, choose the Dropbox option and add only your main 1Password vault. Then follow all of the instructions here, from "Migrate your data on your main device" on:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That will take you through migrating your existing data, removing the old vault, and setting up the rest of your devices. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member

@brenty As you can see from the screenshot posted abobe your most recent response, I have two existing vaults, both in .opvault format.

Even though both live in Dropbox, where they have for years (Dropbox/1Password folder), I was not presented with the option to migrate or connect to existing vaults.

Also as noted above, I have tried the steps in the linked “Move you existing...” article, but that didn’t work either.

I have to be honest here—as a long time 1P user (12 years +/-, back in the days when Dave and Roustem personally responded to user emails), this has been the most discouraging, frustrating, absurd process imaginable. Had this been any other app, by any other company, I would have dumped it days ago, in favor of a competitor product (an option which is now, sadly, on the table if this doesn’t get resolved soon).

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

@PaperQueen,

I’m sorry for the continued trouble. Please try double clicking on each of these OPVault files (1Password.opvault first). If that does not resolve the issue I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/449421/#Comment_449421
    • Your forum username: PaperQueen

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben. Your simple suggestion to double click the .opvault files already on Dropbox opened the door--from there, everything else slid into place. Only hitch remaining is figuring out how to remove the now-empty vaults under "On My Mac" (see attached). I went so far as to rename a couple of them--one of which I believe was created during the installation of v.7--in hopes of finding them in Finder searches, but alas...no luck.

Suggestions?

• @PaperQueen

You can delete these vaults using these instructions:

1) From the menu bar, choose Vault > Switch to Vault > Vault to be deleted (or otherwise switch to the vault you'd like to delete)
    2) Choose Vault > Delete Vault from the menu bar.

You'll need to delete the Primary vault last. Please let us know how you make out. :)

Ben

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member

Bingo.

Thanks again, @Ben. You saved a long-time customer in two posts. :)

• Glad to hear that worked out. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.