Is it possible to compare vault data between version 7 and version 6?

Options
qraig
qraig
Community Member

I have both running happily simultaneously as I have started to transition full time to v7 on all my machines, but I don't think all the data is up to date. I can go through line by line for 1100 items, but I'd rather not.

1Password Version: 7.07
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1P sub account
Referrer: forum-search:compare vaults version 7 and version 6

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qraig - It's not recommended to use 1Password 6 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Mac on the same Mac; unexpected and potentially bad results can occur. I couldn't tell whether you were doing that, because you said "all my machines," -- maybe that means 6 on some and 7 on the others, but just in case: do NOT run them both (or even have them installed side-by-side) on the same Mac.

If you just have 6 on some Macs and 7 on others, and you're using only a 1password.com account everywhere, the data should be the same, because the sync engine is 1password.com. If the data is truly different between devices, are you certain you're not using local, standalone data on one or more devices? An easier way to check than going line-by-line through 1,100 records, is to choose All Vaults and then All Items, and set the sort order to Date Modified (click the carat at the top of the column of items to change this). Let me know what you discover.

• qraig
    qraig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this info. No, I'm not using 1P6 on 1password.com, only v7. When I did the initial v7 trial, I cannot recall, I believe it automatically or gave me the option to migrate my v6 database. But I had an initial problem with v7 (during the beta), so stayed with v6 for a period of months, thus the data discrepancy. Everything seems fine with v7 now (notwithstanding some questionable interface update issues), so I'd like to standardize. From your comment, it seems I'd better ditch v6 immediately, but I'm reluctant to do so without at least a data export.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qraig - you don't have to "ditch v6 immediately." It was only a couple of months ago that it was the current version and 7 hadn't even been released yet. So although it's considered technically a "legacy" product at this point, it still works in all versions of macOS and with all browsers, so far. Version 6 - like all retired versions before it - is no longer receiving development attention, but it's recent enough currently that people don't have to worry about incompatibilities yet. That said, we DO recommend everyone use the latest version, as there are improvements both of the kind you can see and the kind you can't, and legacy versions are only going to get older as time passes.

I'm still a little unclear on the data discrepancy you say you're having; if you're using the same 1password.com account on both version 6 (on some Macs) and version 7 (on others), the item count should be exactly the same. When you say "stayed with v6 for a period of months," does that mean the version 6 data was standalone and not your 1password.com account? And have you been adding/editing items in both versions during that time?

• qraig
    qraig
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, Lars, I wasn't clear... as I said, I am NOT using 1password.com with v6... that is STANDALONE. I wasn't using both versions concurrently until recently (I should have just made a clean break, but I wasn't ready to commit to v7 at that time). Anyway, this is all much ado and I don't want to waste your time. I think I'll just give v6 another quick eyeball and then delete it completely. Any potential data loss would be small, I think, and not end of the world.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qraig - that's your call, and while it sounds as if you may be right, there are ways to check your data and transfer over any items you may have created/edited on version 6, if you want to do a bit of searching/work. But if you think it's negligible, then that's certainly much easier. Let us know if you have any further questions/issues.

This discussion has been closed.