To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Cannot access online after changing master password

Options
Claymo
Claymo
Community Member

I have the online subscription and am running 7.x on iOS, MacOS and Windows platforms. I changed my master password tonight successfully. It works on my iPhone and iMac, but says it has an authentication error when trying to sign me on to my online account. I have tried both the new and old passwords to no avail. I have the 1Password Emergency Kit that I downloaded immediately after the password change, so I know the Secret Key. I know for a fact my new password is correct since it works on my phone to unlock 1Password. Your servers all show as operational. I have good backups available.

Ideas?

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Claymo
    Claymo
    Community Member
    Options

In addition, my 1Password on my iMac (that I used to change the master password) updated the 1Password Account entry with the new password and shows only one previously used password - my old one - neither of each work. My phone 1Password Account entry still shows only one and it is the old one.

• Claymo
    Claymo
    Community Member
    Options

Ironically, I just changed from the purchased version that I have had for years to the subscription model. Never had an issue before using DropBox for syncing. This is disturbing that I agreed to pay for this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I changed my master password tonight successfully. It works on my iPhone and iMac, but says it has an authentication error when trying to sign me on to my online account.

@Claymo: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like what you've done is changed your Master Password for a local vault you have setup on your device, not your account. And it seems like you also setup a different Master Password for your account than any you've used for the app, which is certainly a way to confuse things further. So here are the questions:

1. Do you have your Emergency Kit for your new 1Password.com account?
    2. Are you able to sign into your account on the website then? Keep in mind that you'll need to use the Master Password you chose when signing up for the account.
    3. If you are able to sign into your account on the website, do you have all of your data there? https://start.1password.com/vaults
    4. Otherwise, do you have all of your data in the 1Password app on a specific device?

Thanks in advance!

• Claymo
    Claymo
    Community Member
    Options

I have my Emergency Kit but it says my combination is incorrect. I cannot sign on to the website using the old password or the new password. I can sign on to any of my iPhone/iPad/iMac/MacBook Pro/Surface Pro accounts and access my data but all state they cannot access my online account. My iMac uses my new password and everything else uses the old password.

• Claymo
    Claymo
    Community Member
    Options

Since I have a local vault still good, backups and was able to export my local vault, can I have my online account deleted, create a new one then upload my backup to start over? I'm willing to give this one more try before canceling and going back to 6.x that I already purchased.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Claymo - sorry for the continued difficulties. Yes, you can certainly delete your existing 1password.com account. The way to do that is to write to support+forum@agilebits.com and ask to have an account deletion email sent out to you. It will contain instructions for deleting your account, and once that's done, you can visit the main 1Password Families sign-up page and re-subscribe to a new account using the same email address you used previously.

When you write in to email support, please include the link to this thread. You'll receive a response from our automated BitBot assistant letting you know we received your email. It will include a Support ID number. Please post that number here, so we can "connect the dots" and make sure your issue gets dealt with quickly. Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

• Claymo
    Claymo
    Community Member
    Options

Once I do this, how do I upload my local vault again? Can I do it from a backup?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@Claymo: If you delete your existing account and want to start over with a new one, the best thing to do will be to follow this guide from top to bottom:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

It will take you through signing up for an account, migrating your existing data to it, and setting up the rest of your devices. And if you have any questions along the way, just let us know. Happy to help! :)

ref: SNY-81829-572

This discussion has been closed.