To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't get past the need for a secret key

Options
jaiello
jaiello
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Memberships

I had been running 1Password 6.8.8 for a while now. I knew that there was a need to upgrade to a paid version but I resisted. Yesterday I upgraded to 7 from the Agile Bits web site. I then went to pay for a membership but can't get past the need for a secret key. I understand that if I was running the 6.8.8 version from the App Store that I would not have a secret key however when I try and establish a paying account with my email address I get an error message that says I already have an account. It is at that point I am asked for my secret key which I don't have. I am stuck that this point and there is no phone support. Kind of stinks that you want me to pay a monthly fee but don't allow phone support. How do I get past this point?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jaiello! I'm sorry for the trouble. The only way I can think of where such a thing might happen would be if you actually DID already have an account using the same email address you're attempting to sign up with now. Do you remember maybe experimenting with an account a while back, maybe abandoning it? If so, there are two ways you can approach this:

1. You can simply use a different email address, which won't conflict, or
    2. You can write to us at support@1password.com from this address and reference this thread, and ask one of our email support team to send you out a deletion email with a link and instructions how to delete your old account you can no longer sign into.

If you're certain you've never signed up for a 1password.com account, then something else is definitely wrong, and we'll need to dig a little deeper. Can you let me know which you think is the case? Thanks! :)

• jaiello
    jaiello
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Yes it is possible that I did actually start the sign up process when 1Password went paid and then abandoned it before paying. I sort of remember this. Since I don't want to sign in with a different email address I will go with door number 2.

• Ben
    Options

Great. If you post the support ID that you get back from the email we may be able to expedite your request. Thanks!

Ben

• jaiello
    jaiello
    Community Member
    Options

The support ID is #NRF-69117-828. No one has gotten back to me as of yet.

• jaiello
    jaiello
    Community Member
    Options

Okay I am all set now. I was able to delete my old account and create a new one. I am now up and running. Thanks to all that helped to make this happen.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@jaiello - our support works on a first-in, first-out basis; we try to help the people who have been waiting longest, first. However, it appears as if my colleagues David and Greig have indeed helped you. Glad you were able to get things squared away! :)

ref: AWR-73394-737

This discussion has been closed.