Windows Hello Crashing

Options

Hi

I've noticed that with the latest update 1803 + patch that windows hello (with camera) is often crashing, the windows hello screen comes up I click OK then it stays there in a not responding state.

The only way to fix it is to end task on 1 password then do the same on the windows hello screen, if i do it the other way round it's still frozen.

Thanks

Christian

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1803 Build 17134.165
Sync Type: 1Password Acount

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @christianj,

Thanks for reporting this.

I am not seeing any issues with Windows Hello on the latest Windows updates, not to mention we have no control over Windows Hello. If Hello itself is crashing, there's nothing we can do to fix it because it is a Windows issue, not 1Password.

Are you able to make Hello work in other apps or when you sign in?

• christianj
    christianj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT

no issues at all when signing in just with one password it's only been since the latest windows update.

Thanks

Christian

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @christianj,

I'm having a hard time reproducing this on my Surface Pro 4, it seems to be fine for me. I've also tested on my desktop PC with PIN unlock via Hello.

Have you tried rebooting since then to see if that'd help? If not, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• christianj
    christianj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT

Will do as soon as it crashes i'll do that.

It's been good the last two days of course.

• christianj
    christianj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT

I've just emailed in the report now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@christianj: Sounds good. Hopefully it was a temporary glitch, but please let us know if you encounter any further issues.

Out of curiosity, since I'm using a similar setup and haven't seen this, can you tell me what exactly you saw when it "crashed"? Was there an error message, something else, or did the Windows Hello window just freeze and become unresponsive? That seems to happen to me on the Windows lock screen when I let my Surface hibernate for extended periods of time, and rebooting seems to clear it up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@christianj: Hey! It looks like you just replied while I was typing that. I'm not seeing anything in the inbox under this email address. Can you tell me the Support ID you received? That should allow us to track it down. :)

• christianj
    christianj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty

It just sits there with the windows hello screen where you click ok, I've clicked ok but it's then unresponsive.

When logging onto the computer I've had no issues with hello

Support ID is #SHL-21569-877

Thanks

Christian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@christianj: Thank you very much! Unfortunately, from what you're describing, it sounds like a Windows issue, since the OS handles everything once Windows Hello is invoked, and owns that prompt itself. But I see that we've received your email, so we'll see what we can learn and continue the conversation there. We'll get back to you shortly! :)

ref: SHL-21569-877

• christianj
    christianj
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers thought it might be but best to raise it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Absolutely! Thank you for doing so, and sending the diagnostics. :chuffed: :+1:

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I'm having a similar problem intermittently with Windows 10 1809 (build 17763.55). If I try to unlock 1Password Mini (haven't seen the problem with the main app, but I don't use it as much) with Windows Hello, the popup will recognise me and prompt me to 'Select OK to continue.' If I click OK, the popup will sometimes freeze (and, if I click it again, report Not Responding in the title bar) for up to 10 seconds before resetting, adding the message in yellow, 'Something went wrong. Please try again' and trying to recognise me again.

Typically, if I get this problem, I need to reboot the computer in order to get Windows Hello working again (it'll sometimes succeed after two or three attempts). I can still get in to 1Password using my master password (ie. by avoiding Windows Hello). I can also sometimes (if Windows Hello doesn't get stuck in a cycle of unresponsiveness) switch to using my PIN to unlock via Hello.

I haven't noticed this problem when signing into Windows using Windows Hello or making Microsoft Store purchases—but I don't make store purchases very often, so that could just be luck of the draw.

I recognise that this is probably a Microsoft problem, but I wanted to mention it anyway :smile:

• Thanks for letting us know, we'll keep an eye out on the 1809 update, which is turning out to be riddled with bugs.

We've seen some odd Edge issues there as well. Hopefully, they'll fix them quickly.

This discussion has been closed.