To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I wish to unsubscribe to 1Password plan

IAmNotARobot
IAmNotARobot
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Memberships

Hi all at 1password, since I subscribed to 1password I always used WLAN synch for all my devices (android smartphone and iOS tablet), so I never used 1password cloud storage service. Given that I never used it and never will and considering also that both my portable devices, as well as my iMac, can't no longer get 1 password software updates due to OS versions incompatibility with recent 1password software releases (my smartphone runs on android 4.3, so 1password cloud service isn't even supported), I would like to terminate my subscription but I'm uncertain of the added features I would miss. Please, could you tell me if I will still be able to create new entries, modify them, etc. Are my local data actually encrypted or it's a feature only offered to 1password subscribers? And what will happen after my cancellation to the subscribed plan? Thank you for your support.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Mac OS X (ver. 10.10.5)
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@IAmNotARobot: Without a 1Password.com membership, you can still purchase the individual apps you need, or continue using them if you've already paid for them, and use all of their features. And all 1Password data is encrypted locally on your device, whether you use a 1Password.com membership, another sync option, or none at all. Do you still have your data in a local vault? If so, it's fairly easy to go back to using that. Let me know.

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@brenty, thank you for your kind reply. As I previously mentioned, I never used my 1password.com membership. Right from the start I thought that a local solution would have suited me perfectly, so I never used the 1password.com vault, but only my main local one. Both the 1password apps running on my portable devices were purchased as individual applications, and therefore I paid for them individually. Conversely the application running on my desktop computer (iMac) was downloaded from the 1Password website after I subscribed for a 1Password.com membership. Do I have to replace it with an individual purchase (iTunes) to get its full features. Will I be able to create new entries, modify and/or delete them after opting out from 1password.com? Thanks a lot for your support.

• f_paludo
    f_paludo
    Community Member

Hi, I Am looking for understand what will happen if I leave my iOS 1password update to version 7.
    I have bought in 2013 and use it syncing it over wifi (don't thrust other ways/clouds). So, if I let it update, will I still can use as a standalone app, including new items and editing existing ones?

Thanks in advance! Sorry my poor English.

Fernando Paludo
    Brazil

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@f_paludo: What version of 1Password are you using currently? And what version of iOS do you have?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Do I have to replace it with an individual purchase (iTunes) to get its full features.

@IAmNotARobot: If you did not purchase the Mac version of 1Password already, then you would need to pay for a license for it in order to continue using all of its features without an account.

Will I be able to create new entries, modify and/or delete them after opting out from 1password.com? Thanks a lot for your support.

Since it sounds like you haven't actually saved anything in your 1Password.com account, all you need to do is sign out of your account in the apps and continue syncing the data in your local vaults between devices yourself. If you get stuck at any point, just let me know the specifics and I'll be happy to assist. :)

• f_paludo
    f_paludo
    Community Member

Hi, Brenty. Thanks for your reply.

My Mac 1P version is 6.8.8 from Mac App Store, and iOS version (I`m surprised in check) 7.0.6. So, It looks like theres no trouble in use local vault on v.7 and up.

Cordially,

Fernando Paludo
    Brazil

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@f_paludo: Yep! Local vaults are supported. The only caveat is that is limited to OPVault. If you're currently using AgileKeychain format, you'll need to convert in the future. Happy to help with that though. Cheers! :)

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member

@Brenty, the current version of 1Password running on my iMac is 6.8.9. The 1Password app available on the App Store is the 7.0.7 version, which is incompatible with the operating system running on my iMac (Mac OS Yosemite 10.10.5), so now I have no other options than to pay a useless fee for continuing to use my local 1Password Vault, or otherwise, opting out completely from 1password and find another company which does not force me to subscribe to a plan. I'm very disappointed.

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I just noticed that a 6.8.9 standalone version of 1Password for Mac OS is available on your website download page. Do I have to purchase a license for it? So, in the end I would have to uninstall and later install a same version of 1Password app. Isn't it? Will I have to save my local vault before uninstalling the current 1Password app? And how to import the vault through the new installed app? Thank you for your support and patience. Regards.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@IAmNotARobot - I don't understand. Yes, you'll be limited to 1Password 6 for Mac if you stay on OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but if you already have a license for version 6, you don't need to purchase anything else. And if you've been using 1Password already, then you would have already either purchased it from us directly or gone through the Mac App Store -- either one would have given you a usable (licensed) copy of 1Password for Mac.

If you're using 1Password for Mac for the first time, and you're limited to version 6, then yes, there's no option to purchase a standalone license any longer. You could subscribe to a 1password.com account and use that to "license' 1Password 6 for Mac, but, like most software developers, once a new version is out, we no longer sell the retired, legacy version any longer. Can you clarify a bit what you're trying to do, and what your specific challenge is? Thanks. :)

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Hi @Lars, as I mentioned in my previous post, since I never used 1Password.com and never will, I opted out. I need to continue using 1password on my iMac and both my portable devices (iPad and Android). The 1Password apps on my portable devices were purchased as standalone versions over their respective stores (App Store, Google Play Store). As for the desktop version running on my iMac, it was downloaded from your website after purchasing a 1Password.com annual plan. I wish to continue using 1Password on all my devices (desktop and portable) in WLAN synch (as I always did from the start) and make use of all the important features (create new entries, modify, delete, move, import, export, automatic backup, autofill during login, etc.)
    Thanks for your precious support.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@IAmNotARobot - thanks for the clarification. Here's what I don't understand, however: did you ever have a license for version 4, 5 or 6 of 1Password for Mac? If so, you can continue to use that. If you've never had a 1Password 6 for Mac license, you can purchase one from directly within the app by clicking the 1Password item in your Mac's menubar: 1Password > Licenses.

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@Lars, So, you just told me that Agilebits – as far as the desktop software is concerned – doesn't make any distinction between a standalone software license and an account subscription. Yesterday I just canceled my subscription plan at 1Password.com and all I get now is a frozen application with no way to make any editing task to my stored items. I also did what you suggest in your last post: by clicking to 1Password > Licenses I'm graced with a nice dialogue window that invites me to subscribe to a 1Password.com plan. So it seems there's no "real" standalone version as far as the desktop software (MacOS) is concerned. Thank you.

• @IamNotARobot,

It is the same software regardless of if you have a license or a membership but how the software operates is different.

It is possible to license 1Password 7 for Mac, however this does not include our membership service, upgrades, or access to 1Password on any other platforms. You won’t be able to purchase a license while signed into a membership. This is intentional, and is designed to prevent folks from accidentally purchasing things they don’t need (as a membership covers access to all of our 1Password apps). If you are signed into a membership, but want to purchase a license, you’ll need to sign out of that membership first. Instructions on migrating from a membership to a standalone vault can be found here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

Ben

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@Ben

It is the same software regardless of if you have a license or a membership but how the software operates is different.

I hoped so...

It is possible to license 1Password 7 for Mac, however this does not include our membership service, upgrades, or access to 1Password on any other platforms.

I'm not interested in 1Password 7. As I previously mentioned numerous times, my current OS doesn't support it and I'm not interested in upgrading my OS neither. As for the other platforms, I already mentioned that I use standalone versions (iOS and Android) for my portable devices.

You won’t be able to purchase a license while signed into a membership. This is intentional, and is designed to prevent folks from accidentally purchasing things they don’t need (as a membership covers access to all of our 1Password apps). If you are signed into a membership, but want to purchase a license, you’ll need to sign out of that membership first.

Before attempting to purchase a standalone license for my desktop computer I had already canceled my subscription. In fact, as I mentioned in my previous post, the application was frozen. Despite that, by clicking to 1Password > Licenses (as suggested by @Lars) I was given no other option than to purchase a 1Passward.com plan. No option for a standalone license was present.

Instructions on migrating from a membership to a standalone vault can be found here:

I already mentioned that I never used my 1Password.com account for storage, but only my local vault synched with WLAN.

Thank you for your support.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@IAmNotARobot

Before attempting to purchase a standalone license for my desktop computer I had already canceled my subscription.

OK. But did you remove it from 1Password for Mac? If not -- if you remain signed into that account inside 1Password for Mac -- then what Ben said applies.

In fact, as I mentioned in my previous post, the application was frozen.

This is not possible; 1Password for Mac itself does not "freeze." Only 1password.com accounts enter Frozen status. However, if you have added an account into 1Password for Mac and the account is frozen, this may be what you're referring to. Can you clarify?

What can happen with 1Password for Mac is that if it is neither licensed nor using an active 1password.com account, then the app will be read-only. If you've previously owned a license for 1Password for Mac 4, 5 or 6, you can apply the license into this copy of 1Password for Mac. If you have NOT previously owned a license, then yes, you'll need one to get your copy out of read-only mode. You can purchase a license for 1Password 6 for Mac by clicking 1Password > License from the menubar. Hope this helps! :)

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

OK. But did you remove it from 1Password for Mac? If not -- if you remain signed into that account inside 1Password for Mac -- then what Ben said applies

I have no idea how to do that. Can you please tell me how to proceed?

This is not possible; 1Password for Mac itself does not "freeze." Only 1password.com accounts enter Frozen status. However, if you have added an account into 1Password for Mac and the account is frozen, this may be what you're referring to. Can you clarify?

It was probably the account that was frozen, but I was not able to do any editing tasks in my local vault and the autofill feature didn't work either.

Thank you for your patience and support.

• To remove the account from 1Password for Mac select from the menu bar 1Password > Preferences > Accounts > select the account > press the - button.

Ben

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Thank you Ben! I assume that permanently deleting the account in "My Profile Page" on 1password.com has the same effect. Isn't it?
    And is it safe for my local vault? I will surely give it a try the next year.

1Password is a great solution, one of the best on the market. I just think that some more infos on how to transition from a subscribed account to a standalone solution would be extremely useful to all the users out there.
    Thanks so much to all of you at Agilebits for your invaluable support and patience!

P.S. Just out of desperation, I re-subscribed for a 1Password.com plan and restored 1Password for my Mac to its previous state.

• Thank you Ben! I assume that permanently deleting the account in "My Profile Page" on 1password.com has the same effect. Isn't it?

Deleting the membership should indeed remove it from all installations so if that didn’t happen it is likely the membership was not deleted.

And is it safe for my local vault?

Standalone vaults are not associated with a membership, so deleting a membership would not delete any standalone vaults. If you have neither an active membership subscription nor a license valid for the version of 1Password in use standalone vaults will be read-only.

P.S. Just out of desperation, I re-subscribed for a 1Password.com plan and restored 1Password for my Mac to its previous state.

Okay. Glad to hear you found a solution. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Thank you so much!

You’re very welcome.

Ben

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Okay. Glad to hear you found a solution. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

As far as I'm concerned it's not the best solution. Since I use WLAN for synching, I would have preferred a standalone app, but unfortunately, information about this topic is lacking on the 1password website.

• Understood. If you’d like further assistance please let us know. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.