Is it safe to have 1Password 6 and 7 on the same system?

Options
orc4hire
orc4hire
Community Member

I have a 1password.com account.

I'd like to keep version 7 on my system a little longer, just in case Agilebits responds to my emails about the issues I've had with it, but I'd really much rather use version 6.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@orc4hire: Work, work! :naughty:

It's not in any way dangerous to have both, but it's not recommended because it can cause you headaches if macOS launches the wrong version of 1Password mini.

I'm not sure why you're asking though. Is there something else I can help with? I don't see anything in the inbox from this address, so the Support ID you received would be helpful. :)

• Ben
    Options

I wouldn’t expect major design changes to 1Password 7. Additionally I’d say that with macOS Mojave dark mode will affect even more of the interface:

macOS - Mojave Preview - Apple

That isn’t to say that we wouldn’t or aren’t considering improvements, but a major overhaul would be extremely unlikely until at least 1Password 8.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

If you don’t enable dark mode in Mojave the 1Password interface won’t be in dark mode either, so I’m not entirely sure I understand the concern there.

As for the issue with selecting text in notes without entering edit mode that is something we’d like to address in an update.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @orc4hire. I’m sorry to hear you feel that way. We’ve put a lot of time and effort into the 1Password 7 upgrade and feel we’ve made some significant improvements. We don’t expect that every customer will take advantage of every improvement (or even agree that they are all improvements), but we’d think / hope that everyone would find something compelling about it. Did you read our announcement of the release before deciding to purchase it?

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever - AgileBits Blog

Either way if you’re dissatisfied we don’t want you to feel ‘stuck’ with a solution that isn’t working for you. Please reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com to see about a refund. I hope you’re able to find a solution that better suits you. For the imediate future if the plan is to return to 1Password 6 that may work for some time, but as that product is no longer being developed it isn’t a long term solution. I can’t really recommend using older software (including El Capitan) for the long term.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

We’re certainly open to feedback about possible improvements, and will consider lightening the text color and/or increasing the font size to be more legible.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

The text size of Secure Notes while being displayed is something we’re looking into. At this point I don’t know the answer to your question, but I do plan to bring this up with development and see if we can get the size increased. I agree — it is small, and seemingly without reason.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Yes... the text is smaller in the display mode versus larger in edit mode, which is what makes the text appear to shrink or grow. I plan to bring this discrepency up with the development team. I did review your video (thank you for that).

Ben

• Ben
    Options

I suspect it wasn’t an intentional design decision but rather the effect of some other change.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

I've confirmed with development that the plan is to improve this. Unfortunately I couldn't say when exactly that will happen, but it is an issue development is aware of and will be working into their schedule.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@orc4hire - different issue; that one concerns the Delete Vault sheet in 1Password for Mac. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you mean that you want the text to be larger, as Ben mentioned above, it's something we're considering.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@orc4hire - I wouldn't, since that's not what either brenty, Ben or I said. It means that it's one of quite a number of issues we're aware of that people would like changed, and we don't have anything to announce regarding it currently. If we knew for certain we weren't going to do it, there would be a reason why we'd made that decision, and we would tell you what it was.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@orc4hire - OK, just letting you know what was and wasn't meant by our comments. Whatever you decide, stay safe out there. :)

This discussion has been closed.