Sharing Windows 1Password App with Family

stevenafc
stevenafc
Community Member

I share the main computer with my family. I want to add a family member to the 1Password Windows app so we can all use the 1Password Chrome plugin using different Chrome profiles.

However when I go to Accounts > Sign in to another account and fill in the details we get the following error:

"A member from this 1Password Team/Family account has already been added to 1Password. You cannot add two or more accounts from the same Family or Team account."

Interestingly I saw another forum post from 2016 but with reference to the Mac version where this limitation has been resolved.

Am I doing something wrong?

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Beta
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stevenafc: 1Password is a single user app, so you cannot add multiple users in the same app. You can, however, use multiple Windows (or Mac) user accounts so that each person has their own 1Password setup (among other things). But you may want to check this out:

Get to know 1Password X

1Password X runs right within the browser, so you could just give each person a separate profile. It's not something we'd recommend since it's much more secure to have separate user accounts. You may think that's silly, but one family member accidentally installing malware in a separate, limited (non-admin) user account is much better than the alternative.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• stevenafc
    stevenafc
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

1Password X runs right within the browser, so you could just give each person a separate profile. It's not something we'd recommend since it's much more secure to have separate user accounts. You may think that's silly, but one family member accidentally installing malware in a separate, limited (non-admin) user account is much better than the alternative.

This is what I have done, but because the plugin relies on having the main application installed and running with a user setup, it pulls up the wrong users 1Password data.

1Password is a single user app

Interesting because the option appears to be there to add multiple users to the 1Password application (see screenshot), but it requires you to have separate subscriptions. I am assuming this option doesn't just replace the primary user, because of the error message I received when trying to add a family member.

I guess we could have multiple Windows users setup on the machine, but for me this causes more issues than it solves.

• but because the plugin relies on having the main application installed

1Password X does not. 1Password X is different than the traditional browser extensions which work with/rely on the 1Password app.

Interesting because the option appears to be there to add multiple users to the 1Password application (see screenshot), but it requires you to have separate subscriptions. I am assuming this option doesn't just replace the primary user, because of the error message I received when trying to add a family member.

Multiple accounts, yes. Multiple users, no. That is there to allow one person to add multiple accounts are theirs. For example I have accounts for my work here at 1Password, a 1Password Families membership that I share with my family, and an individual 1Password membership. They’re all mine, but they are different accounts.

I guess we could have multiple Windows users setup on the machine, but for me this causes more issues than it solves.

I understand, but that is how multi-user operating systems were designed to work: separate accounts for each person.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.