To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Old Licence Key -to- new version

Matt51F1
Matt51F1
Community Member

Hello!
I have recently "upgraded" (I use this term loosely as it was not an easy experience) from v4.6.1 to v7.
I have a licence key that I purchased way back then but cannot find a way to add that key to my account now. Does this mean that my existing licence is now no good and I need to go onto the "payment plan"?

I am in software support as part of my job and navigating my way around trying to import passwords from an existing archive is not intuitive nor easy. Being taken to a webpage with directions to follow that are ambiguous at best with the need to sign in again every time and being taken away from that page makes the process of upgrading to be ... painful.

If there is a way of recovering continued access through my previously purchased licence (I have the key), that would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W7 (soon to go to W10)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

Welcome to the forum, @Matt51F1! Sorry for the troubles upgrading. I think the problem you're experiencing may be due not to the fact that you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Windows but that you appear to have created a 1password.com account. If that's the case, then the short answer to your question of whether you can use your old license to cover your newly-created 1password.com account is no.

There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

Your existing license will allow you to install and license whatever version of 1Password it was purchased for (can you clarify that for me?). But if you want to run 1Password 7 for Mac, you'll need either a 1password.com membership (account) or an upgraded license. Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.