1password 5 to 1password 7 help needed.

Options
loop
loop
Community Member

I recently received a new laptop and had 1password 5 on my old one synced to Dropbox. Realized that 1password 7 is out so I purchased it and created an account. It's been frustrating getting 1password set up with how it was on my previous laptop.

I've installed 1password 7 but I can't seem to import my agile keychain. It actually converted it to .opvault which seems to be the new format for the new app. I can't not see any of my old data in 1password 7. I've tried the solutions on your site but I must be overlooking something. Also the size of my agilekeychain was 15mb and the new .opvault is in the kb's. Is that normal?

Also once I have this imported seems the best route is to sync with you guys and not dropbox?

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @loop! Yes, things have changed quite a bit since the days of 1Password 5 for Mac. Believe it or not, the last update to version 5 (5.4.3) was released in January of 2016! One of the major changes was that we finally deprecated the older Agile Keychain format in 1Password 7 for Mac. Its replacement, OPVault, has been out for about four years now. It wasn't required up until now, but with version 7, it is. That's why part of the setup flow for 1Password 7 for Mac is to detect Agile Keychain use, and convert it to OPVault.

All of that presupposes that you want to stay with standalone vaults and advanced (Dropbox) syncing, however. But you told us you also created a new 1password.com account. When you reached this screen, did you choose "Start my trial," or "Sync using Dropbox?"

If you chose the latter option, that's when you should've gotten a pop-up informing you about the deprecation of Agile Keychain format and a button to convert your vault. Clicking it would have renamed your old keychain from .agilekeychain to .legacyagilekeychain and created a new .opvault in the same location, then used that for sync.

However, if you chose "Start my trial" at the New User screen, then you would've gone through the sign-up process for a new user, but that wouldn't automatically import your data from Dropbox. The way to import is by clicking File > Import and choosing the top option, 1Password Keychain. In the pop-up, navigate to your Agile Keychain file, and you'll see all your items imported. Try that and let us know how it works. Oh, and yes -- one of the advantages of the newer OPVault format is that due to the way items are stored and synced, it's not only much faster but also often considerably smaller. And once you've imported your older Agile Keychain into your 1password.com account, all of the syncing will be via the 1password.com servers, no need for setting up/maintaining/troubleshooting older 3rd-party advanced sync options.

• loop
    loop
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,
    Thank you so much for the detailed information. Can't wait to get this up and running.

I tired to import using the File-Import and this is what happens.

Why would this be happening?

• loop
    loop
    Community Member
    Options

I also just chose my personal vault and it imported a few items but error showed up after it imported about 20 items. The error was "Unable To Copy Item to Destination Vault."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@loop: What format is the data in that you're trying to import? Have you tried using the 1Password 6 option? I'm not certain that would work if you were using 1Password 5 for some reason, but using 1Password 6 to read version 5's database could work as an intermediate step to allow version 7 to read it. Let me know.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty - if you mean the 1Password 6 option in the import window, that's not going to work in this case because this is a new Mac with no previous 1Password data on it. @loop, I'm going to see if we can figure out why this might be happening.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@loop - aha. I think I have an answer for you. One of your items in the Agile Keychain is likely missing a reference (corrupted attachment, possibly, but it could be other things as well), and it's causing the importer to choke. The good news is: if you're willing to update to the current beta of 7.1 (instead of 7.0.7, which is the current stable version), this is solved. To get the beta, go to Preferences > Updates and check the box marked "Include beta builds." Then check for updates manually by clicking the "Check now" button, and you should get 7.1. Once that's installed and unlocked, try that process again, and see if it works for you. Let us know how it goes!

• loop
    loop
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,
    Yay!! It worked! I imported it into my personal vault and not the dropbox.
    I'll need to eventually sync it to my iphone but i'd like to get this squared away first. What do you suggest syncing it to , Dropbox or 1password account? I think that was the reason of setting up an account with 1password, am i understanding this correctly?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@loop - if you've got a 1password.com account, you don't need to set up sync; it's set up for you as part of the account. There's no need to mess around with setting up or maintaining (and potentially troubleshooting) Dropbox sync issues. Don't get me wrong, we still have mad love for Dropbox -- they were our first and for a long time only method of cross-platform sync. We've used their APIs extensively and still support Dropbox as a sync method in 1Password. However, Dropbox is a general sync service. By definition, it has to be able to sync everything from videos of your cat to Excel spreadsheets to...well, you get the idea. When we created the 1password.com service, one of the main drivers was to be able to create a purpose-built sync engine that A) we controlled and B) didn't have to do all those other things. In 1password.com's sync engine, it's designed ONLY for your 1Password data, which means we can build it to be much more reliable and also feature-rich than any 3rd party API could ever be. The choice is still yours, of course, but in my mind, it's hardly a choice at all.

ref: ZDM-61891-818

• loop
    loop
    Community Member
    Options

Whoa, that's amazing. I had no idea and will stop using dropbox because it drove me nuts. I want to get this going on my iphone now. Let me try this and see how well it syncs. Here we go..... will report in a few

• loop
    loop
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars
    I synced my iPhone using my 1password account and now I have duplicates. Do you recommend, signing out, removing all logins from the app and signing in again?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@loop - If you have duplicates, it's likely that you still have both the local (Primary) vault as well as the 1password.com (Personal) vault, but without taking a closer look, it's hard to say for sure. However, I see my colleague Greig is assisting you in our email support queue as well; if you'll be so kind as to send him the diagnostics reports he requested, he can clear that up for you. Thanks! :)

• loop
    loop
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars , I didn't clear anything when I synced it on my phone. But let me go read his email from support now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@loop - sounds good. :) :+1: Let's keep the conversation going via email, if you don't mind, instead of trying to juggle two places at once. Thanks! :)

• loop
    loop
    Community Member
    Options

You got it. I came to the forum because it took forever to get a response. But will do.

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.