1password 7 reinstalling after removal OS X

Options
hserang
hserang
Community Member

Greetings,

I have been using 1password 6 synced to iCloud (standalone) for years with no issues. I have a new to me laptop, a mid 2015 15" Retina MacBook Pro running OS X 10.13.6. All 1password purchases/installations were performed with the direct download (not through app store).

After accidentally downloading and installing 1password 7 from the Agilebits site, I deleted it and installed version 6. While everything worked, the rev 6 would spontaneously get archived and version 7 would reappear.

After reading many posts, I then deleted version 7, emptied the trash and immediately restarted the machine. Despite this effort, version 7 keeps reconstituting itself in the Applications directory. I must admit this is leaves me feeling uneasy that my directory is being changed without my explicit permission.

Took another swing by trashing the app, then removing all found associated files in the ~/Library/.. dirs. This did not stop the phantom reappearances of 1password 7.

Any assistance in permanently banishing this zombie 1password 7 to the data underworld would be appreciated. I am happy with ver 6 for the time being.

Thank you in advance.

-H

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @hserang,

You may see something like this if you haven’t completely quit 1Password 7 before attempting to remove it. Instructions for reverting to v6 can be found here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/441130/#Comment_441130

I hope that helps!

Ben

• hserang
    hserang
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben ,

Thank you very much for your helpful response. I have followed those directions multiple times now, even restarting the computer after "Quite 1Password Completely" + Moving to the trash (which requires entering a password btw) + emptying trash. I regret the application keeps reinstalling itself with no human intervention.

Can you please share the name of the process which is doing this that I may kill it in the terminal? Any technical information on what is being installed that would have this effect would be greatly appreciated.

When successful I will gladly share which pattern succeeded in removing this software, but for the moment the prescribed process is not yielding the expected result.

Best,
    H

• Ben
    Options

@hserang

There really isn’t anything in 1Password itself that would cause the 1Password application to reappear in the Applications folder after being moved to the trash... The only thing I can imagine here is that something else is running that is causing that to happen. Especially if 1Password isn’t running at the time that this happens I don’t understand how it could be causing it?

In any event, to answer your question, 1Password’s process names are 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper and 1Password 7. In Terminal these two commands will kill all of 1Password's processes:

killall 1Password\ 7
    killall 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper

Ben

• hserang
    hserang
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben ,

Upon further debugging I am, apologetically, the purveyor of fine, crimson fish. The reinstallation issue was being caused by another, unrelated piece of software.

Adding this explanation here in case it helps others:
    The laptop on which I am installing 1Password belongs to my employer. They have installed software for remote management. Unbeknownst to me, the only software it installs is (drumroll) 1Password 7. Given automated nature of 1Password 7 archiving incumbent versions, this caused a bit of confusion and spontaneous breakage.

How it was debugged:
    Using htop in the terminal, I brute force killed various processes for newly installed software. Repeated killing of the remote management software delayed the reinstallation of 1Password.

Thank you for your assistance on this. I hope this is of some help to someone else out there.

Best,

H

• Ben
    Options

Ha! Well, excellent. I'm really glad you figured that out, because I was incredibly confused (and perhaps a bit worried that 1Password had gone skynet). :tongue: Thanks for the update. Good luck with the crimson fish. ;)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.