Upgrade to version 7 single license from version 6?

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Hi, long time happy user since day 1 here, evaluating whether to upgrade from standalone to membership.

The only thing that's worrying me is what happens in the following (admittedly quite unlikely) scenario:
    My membership payment is due but there's a problem with my bank so the payment fails.
    So, I go to my bank's website to see what the problem is but now I can't log in because the login details are in 1Password which has now expired!

TLDR: when membership expires am I locked out of my existing stuff, or do I just get frozen, still able to see old stuff but not do much else?

Cheers
    Ian

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited September 2019

If your subscription lapses your account becomes frozen. In that state you can still view all of your details. You won't be able to add new records, modify existing ones, or use the browser extensions to fill, but you can copy & paste your credentials etc.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

p.s. Your chosen username won't allow me to @ mention you, due to the _s surrounding it. The forum software interprets that as markdown and wants to format it as ian. If you'd like to choose a different username that would allow you to be mentioned (allowing for email notifications for that, etc) please email us at [email protected]

• Hi Ben, thanks for the response,

That's what I was hoping to hear, it's the perfect most reasonable action for a SaaS in this field to take when membership lapses!
    It's an insta-upgrade for me then :)

Cheers
    Ian

p.s. I actually only knew you'd replied because I got an email notification... although I suspect you may've pulled some strings on this occasion for that to happen?!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Ian,

So glad to hear that! :)

Re: the username situation... it depends on how you have your notification preferences for the forum set. You may have it set to email you whenever someone replies to a thread you've participated in. Having that set can get a bit annoying if you participate in any particularly active threads, and so some folks prefer to only set the option to get an email when they are mentioned by username.

Ben

• forkiesforkies
    edited September 2019

Other apps on the Mac App Store used a model of bundling the previous version and current version to create an upgrade path. Why wasn't this chosen for 1Password 7? It seems like that would have mitigated a lot of confusion and improved customer satisfaction. Thanks.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@forkies

We wrote about the situation with the Mac App Store here:

https://blog.1password.com/getting-1password-7-ready-for-the-mac-app-store/

1Password from the MAS is now subscription only.

Ben

• forkiesforkies
    edited September 2019

Hey Ben, thanks for the link! I didn’t see where the post addresses the method of app bundles as an upgrade path. No in-app purchases are required for that method, so it’s interesting Agilebits chose to rely on them instead.

I should probably give a specific example, just to avoid confusion, of a developer who was able to do this successfully without IAP.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/goodnotes-5-upgrade-bundle/id1445840741

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited September 2019

It looks like app bundles didn't become a thing in the Mac App Store until October 2018... a while after 1Password 7 was released, and long after the decisions in question would've had to have been made. Jeff's blog post was written in May of 2018: 5 months before app bundles were announced.

Ben

• bcdavebcdave Junior Member

I have been a very long time user of 1Password, pretty much from the beginning. I am now confused because 1Password 6 will no longer work on Safari. I know, there is a link to explain why, but then here you have some confusing information. Your website indicates only the option to buy a subscription, but that pricing is far higher than the last time I bought an upgrade to V6 for about $25 as a one time fee. You seem to indicate that 7 can be bought as a standalone for $50, but I don't see that anywhere on the site. Why is it so hard to find this? Is that price a full purchase or upgrade?

To be honest, I am very happy with 6, so would only look to upgrade to use it with Safari and because I like to support 1Password as it's a great app, but as I say, would much prefer a one time payment along the lines of what I've paid before.

Also, what is the functional difference between a one time purchase and a membership, besides the membership costing a lot more?

Thank you.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

You can always access your passwords, even using a product you haven't paid for. Even without an active membership, the account is just frozen; and without a valid license, the data is just read only, so it can even be exported if desired. :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@bcdave: While I can't recommend sticking with outdated software as a viable option long-term, plenty of other browsers have not changed in such a way that makes 1Password 6 incompatible with them, so you could use one of those: Chrome, Firefox, etc.

As far as licenses, they're sold per person, per version of 1Password, and can be purchased from within the app itself. We don't market them anymore because that caused a lot of confusion and frustration for people who bought them expecting that to allow them to use 1Password seamlessly across all their devices. 1Password memberships offer that, and are what most people expect and want, so we market those now instead.

A membership includes all of the apps and updates, automatic offsite backup and item history, and involves no license management, separate purchases, or sync configuration; you simply sign into your account on each device to access your data.

• rjessonrjesson Junior Member

I fail to understand how 1Password can say that a subscription is good value. I Paid $39.95 for 1Password in 2012, that's 7 years use for less than $40.00, excellent value! I have been offered a discount for the first year by 1Password but the cost over the next 7 years will be ($18.00 + ($35.88x6)) which is $233.28 that is a 583% increase in price, a somewhat greater than inflation price hike. I would not object to paying for a paid upgrade but I have only been offered a one off licence for 1Password7 for $50 and I'm told that when version 8 comes out I'll have to pay again, also it won't sync with my iPhone. Please remember it is only a password manager and get over the delusions of grandeur. I have now uninstalled 1Password from all my devices and will use the Mac keychain for the bulk of my no-critical websites and a competitor for my banks etc. Goodbye 1Password.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@rjesson - if you purchased 1Password in 2012, then it sounds as if you may have purchased from the Mac App Store, since we've definitely had paid upgrades since that time. A 2012 purchase would have been for 1Password 3 for Mac. In our own store, 1Password 4 for Mac was a paid, full-version upgrade.

But part of the issue at the time was that, in the Mac App Store, there was no way for developers to charge for new versions without creating a new SKU (a completely different product ID with no connection to the previous one). So Mac App Store users got the upgrade to version 4 for free. This didn't strike us as particularly even, so when we released both version 5 and version 6, we made them free upgrades for everyone, including customers who purchased from our own store. We're glad to have been able to do that, and we've been historically pretty generous with upgrades (as well as sales), but having dozens (now hundreds) of people work for months on new versions and not charging anyone except new users for them, resulting in (as you observed) situations where some users paid well below retail price initially and then got three full-version upgrades for free over the course of seven years, just wasn't a sustainable business model.

So, in May of last year, as our CEO Jeff Shiner explains in this post we released 1Password 7 for Mac as a paid upgrade for everyone unless you'd purchased version 6 within the prior few months, and we made the decision to have the Mac App Store version be subscription-only. We still sell standalone licenses like the one you purchased all those years ago, but only from our own storefront now. And if you'd like one, they're available right within the 1Password app (if you install from us), for $49.99 (regular price $64.99).

I have only been offered a one off licence for 1Password7 for $50 and I'm told that when version 8 comes out I'll have to pay again, also it won't sync with my iPhone.

Not sure where you heard this, but while future full-version upgrades may indeed be paid, specific plans haven't been set. Typically, new full-version upgrades of any software are paid upgrades, but we just don't have any definitive information to share on that at this time. And yes, licensed copies of 1Password for Mac will sync with your iPhone, using any of our advanced sync options. And of course 1Password accounts work on and sync with all our native applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android).

If iCloud Keychain suits your needs, great -- but remember that the reason there's "no cost" for it is because Apple's revenue stream comes from selling hardware, not software. I put "no cost" in quotes because although there's no monetary cost to the end-user of Mail or Safari or iCloud Keychain, the cost of developing Apple's OS and software is baked into the price of the devices you purchase. By contrast, 1Password is all we do -- and we don't have a deep-pocketed corporate parent company nor do we seek "outside revenue streams" from venture capital. Our entire budget comes from the direct sale of 1Password to end users, whether via standalone licenses or 1Password memberships, so we price it sustainably to allow us to continue delivering the best-in-class product our users have come to expect.

I love 1Password and want to keep using it with Safari, which is the browser I prefer. I am glad that you offer a standalone version for $50, but why is this such a secret? Nowhere on your website does it offer this and that's causing confusion. You say here that it's within the app itself, but who would know that? Is this because you prefer to sell the subscription? This amount is akin to the full price for 1Password, so not an upgrade price. Will you continue to offer this standalone or will I have to eventually switch to subscription, which is much more expensive? Will I have to buy another full version just to keep it working with Safari, or can I rely on this working for some time? Thanks.

• I'm really confused. I have a license for 1Password 5 and upgraded to 6 in 2017 I think. I downloaded 1Password 7 and am confronted with the option of buying a regular license for $49.99 or a membership for $2.99/month. I am one person, but I want to use 1Password on my MAC, my iPad and my iPhone. Will the standalone license do that for me? What are the pros and cons of license vs membership? Also 1Password 7 is asking me to set up an account. Is that separate from the login I already have?

It is very confusing, which was my point. It feels like they are hoping you just take the subscription, but offering the standalone, if you dig hard enough to find out about it. I wish it was just clear for all to choose with the differences clearly laid out. The confusion makes me look into considering other options.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@bcdave - it isn't a secret, we just don't advertise standalone licenses any longer because for the vast majority of use-cases, a 1Password account is the best way to use 1Password. It's easier to use and more robust/less prone to configuration issues that can lead to data loss or other problems than standalone data and advanced sync methods, and even long-time users will find multiple advantages of 1Password accounts. So that's our go-to recommendation. Standalone licenses are available for those who know what they are and prefer the "DIY" approach they offer and feel confident setting up and managing such a 1Password "ecosystem."

Regarding future version pricing, like most software that's sold standalone (as opposed to via subscription) future full-version upgrades of 1Password for Mac may indeed require an additional license purchase, but we're still well in the middle of version 7 right now and I've no specific information about the next version in terms of date or pricing to share at this time. But, long story short, using 1Password over the long term will come with a cost, yes. I know of very little commercial software that can be purchased one time and entitles the buyer to unlimited free upgrades forever. And those that DO have a "lifetime purchase" option are usually on the order of multiple hundreds or even thousands of dollars, because the developers know they only get one sale per person, and basing viability on only sales to new customers isn't a workable business model. You can have a look at our version history server to get an idea of how regularly we release new full-version upgrades. It varies of course, depending on many factors, but that should give you some idea. Hope that helps! :)

Let's be clear, I'm not saying there should be free upgrades. I'm fine with paying every so often when I need to, either for improved functionality or just to get the latest, shiny version of 1Password, but the problem is, the subscription is a fairly big increase in price for your users, so yeah, the standalone version is useful as it just allows me to continue as I was. You say it isn't a secret, but that you don't advertise the standalone version. That is, by definition, a secret! I think not being completely straight with your long time customers is a little frustrating. If you go onto this forum and you happen to find out, then you can buy it, but given your reluctance to advertise, maybe it will be retired soon. Who knows. In the end, this secretive approach does encourage me to look around at other, more straightforward options. I love 1Password, but I'm just saying that now I will be sure there isn't something else out there that suits my needs just as well.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member
    edited September 2019

@bcdave - It's really not a secret; there are mentions of standalone licensing all over our support pages and these forums, we just don't promote or advertise the option any longer. Why? Because when we first released 1Password accounts in 2016, we did exactly that -- we put all purchase options up on the same page...and it was an unmitigated disaster, for users and for us -- people did not understand the difference or what they were (and were not) buying. They'd heard about these great new accounts...but someone told them not to do the subscription, so they bought the license instead and then wondered why what they thought they were getting didn't match what they actually got -- or they did the reverse and became equally confused. It resulted in months with thousands of confused, angry users who'd thought they were doing one thing but found out they weren't. To sum up, 1Password accounts are the way forward, and that's what we're suggesting to both new and upgrading users. 1Password licenses are still available for those who want them. And you can see that immediately when you install the new version and see the Purchase Window:

I have a license for 1Password 5 and upgraded to 6 in 2017 I think

Just a housekeeping note: version 6 was a free, full-version upgrade for anyone with a license for either version 4 or version 5.

In the last analysis, you have to do what makes most sense for you, both budgetarily and from a security standpoint. A little back-of-the-envelope math will tell you that at $2.99/mo (when paid annually) for an individual account, and assuming a retail price of $64.99 for standalone licenses, that would require 21, almost 22 months before standalone license becomes as cost-effective as 1Password membership. That's right around how often we've released full-version upgrades historically, making it more or less a wash, looked at from just the sheer monetary angle. But with 1Password accounts, you get quite a bit more that you don't get with standalone 1Password -- not because we're trying to "force" or "entice" people to switch, but because we can't offer things like individual Item History, Account Recovery if you forget your Master Password, or Travel Mode in standalone 1Password because we don't have that kind of flexibility with 3rd party sync APIs. And the cost savings get even more lopsided if you have multiple family members who want to use 1Password -- because standalone licenses are sold per-person, meaning four users in a family would each require their own license for 1Password for Mac (or 1Password for Windows, or both if they use both platforms), while a 1Password Families membership is only $59.88/yr, and includes all four of our native apps (Mac, Window, iOS and Android) including all future upgrades for as long as you maintain the account, for all members of the account.

We'd love to keep you as a 1Password user, but we want you to be happy, not feel trapped. We're almost certainly not going back to advertising standalone licenses and if that's a deal-breaker for you, then as long as you're not using sticky notes on your monitor or re-using the same two or three passwords everywhere, we're happy if you're happy. Stay safe out there. :)

• I'm happy to stay as a 1Password customer. However, since I posted my question, I got impatient and decided to buy the membership. But the process didn't complete, and although I now have 1Password 7 on my computer, it's read only and I have no secret key. Got msg during the setup: "Could not add account to 1Password. Primary profile locked." So now I'm stuck. I sent an email and am waiting for a response.

edited September 2019

Thanks Lars. The math for me is that I paid $50 some time ago and $25 more to upgrade a few years back, so the math is somewhat different as it totals about $75 for 6 or 7 years. Now to be fair, that's probably because you were charging nothing for upgrades, but as a 6 user, I would be happy to pay another $25 or $35 to upgrade and would expect that to last a couple of years. So no matter how you slice it, from my experience, it's not a wash, but a fair bit more. But okay, that's what it is, but that's why some of your customers may feel that the price has gone up a lot. For me $36 a year now compared to about $12 before.

As for the standalone, I have no idea that is offered unless I go and download and install 7. That's why I did not do it at all at first. So for me, it's rather secret. Even the words, "Need a license" is not clear because the subscription is also a license of sorts. So what does that mean? It should say, "want to buy a single copy without a subscription?" That would be clear. And it should say so on the website. You've explained here what the difference is, so you could on the site too. My two cents. Cheers.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Eleanor315: I'm sorry for the difficulty. I've found the email you sent a couple hours ago and will reply to you there after I've replied to others that have been waiting longer. Thanks for your patience.

ref: GXE-17297-328

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@bcdave: Yeah, while I'm glad we were able to offer some free upgrades over the years, sometimes we need to get paid. I'm sorry if that set unrealistic expectations for you and others as a result. The reality is that the only way there's anyone here to help 1Password users and improve 1Password itself is us charging sustainable prices for it. Thanks for understanding, and for your support. :chuffed:

As far as the license, it's only offered if you are actually using 1Password with a standalone vault. I don't think it makes sense for us to sell them to people who don't need them. And if you had been one of the people who purchased a 1Password license which you did not need, you would have been angry too. So we offer licenses in the context where they'd actually be of use to the user. A 1Password 7 license is totally useless to someone who a) isn't using the app (i.e. it's not installed) or b) has a membership (as all the apps and updates are included in that). Cheers! :):+1:

Got it. I hope you understand that I am trying to share my impression from a user POV, but I totally want Agile to make money and continue doing good work. Cheers.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@bcdave: Absolutely! Thank you for taking the time to do so. It sounds like we all want the same thing: for 1Password to be the best it can be for years to come. :chuffed:

• I have a question about upgrading. I have the standalone 1Password 6.8.9 app on my Mac (10.14.6), 4.6.2.626 on Windows 10 and version 7.2 on Android 9. I'm currently sync'ing via DropBox.

If I upgrade to version 7, what is the process I should use? Should I get the license first then install the apps? Or install the Mac and Windows app then purchase the licenses the initial time I run the app?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@petek: I'd recommend giving a 1Password membership a try, since that gets you all of the above. Otherwise you'll have to buy a license for each now, and then later on when there's another major version upgrade, etc. Or, to go the license route, just install the new version, set it up with your existing data, and you'll have the option right in the app to purchase to remove the "read only" restriction. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file