Imported Item questions [converter suite / DataVault]

Options
bglassbe
bglassbe
Community Member
edited July 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I just imported my password files over from Ascendo Datavault with the converter that I found in the forums. That was very useful, but it will require some cleanup.

One issue that I'm having is that some of the items were imported into the wrong category. Is there a way I can modify the category without creating a new entry in 1password?

Second, is there a way to quickly select multiple items and delete them? I have old entries that were imported that don't need to be in there and I'd like to not have to manually delete each one if possible.

Finally, if it turns out to be easier to simply enter each item manually as I long into a site (rather than correcting the bulk imported entries), is there a simple way to either back out or delete the imported entries? Alternatively, could I delete the vault and start over?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

blg

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bglassbe ,

As I write in the README.pdf:

Note: The DataVault CSV export is lossy - it does not export the Category, Type, or Template information. The DataVault CSV export on Windows is lossy. The user interface accepts Unicode characters, however, only latin1 characters are exported to the CSV file. Non-latin1 characters are transliterated. For example, the character ş becomes s. .

Note: The CSV export for DataVault for macOS does not properly CSV-quote its data. This will cause the converter to skip the problematic record and generate a warning. You will need to manually enter any of these noted records.

Note: DataVault has several essentially identical templates, which are indistinguishable in the CSV export. These are treated as a single DataVault template, and are mapped into 1Password categories. These are:

bank account, checking account –> bankacct
    business contact, personal contact –> contact
    credit card, mastercard, visa –> creditcard
    business, financial –> business

So the converter detects the category based on the field names in the CSV file.

I may be able to customize the converter for you to better suit your needs. Can you describe the category mismatches?

You can mass select/delete any number of items.

• bglassbe
    bglassbe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MrC.

Is there an easy way to move an item from one category to another? The majority of the problem items were added as Secure Notes. One of my hotel rewards was categorized as a bank account. I haven't gone through in detail to try to figure it all out yet. I just wanted to see what functionality is available to make it easiest. My Data Vault is not subscription based, so it may be easiest to manually have logins added as I log into sites.

Thanks,

blg

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bglassbe,

No, unfortunately not. An item is fixed to its chosen category.

Secure Notes is the default category when no stock field name is available in the CSV to match against a table of the categories and their field names.

Your CSV export contains one CSV virtual line per DataVault entry. And the format of that CSV is:

Title,Field1Label,Field1Value,...,FieldNLabel,FieldNValue,Notes

It is the Field*Labels that are used to match the category. The datavault converter has a table of category/field name mappings, part of which looks like:

bankacct =>                 { textname => '', fields => [
            [ 'bankName',           0, qr/^Bank$/, ],
            [ 'accountNo',          1, qr/^Account Number$/, ],
            [ 'telephonePin',       0, qr/^PIN$/, ],
            [ 'swift',              1, qr/^SWIFT Number$/, ],
            [ 'routingNo',          1, qr/^Routing Number$/, ],
            [ 'iban',               1, qr/^IBAN Number$/, ],
            [ '_svcphone',          0, qr/^Customer Service$/, ],
        ]},

This is the entry for a Bank Account. The 1 value says to the datavault converter that when the corresponding field name matches one of the labels in your export line item, then assign this category (so if your export line item has a label named Account Number, Routing Number, or IBAN Number, then the category will be set as Bank Account).

So I presume your Hotel Rewards category has been customized to contain one of these labels (and most likely it would be Account Number). These are the only category hint indicators available in the export, and when user's customize their types/categories, the resulting export can become ambiguous. But that's sometimes OK, since the converter tries to work around this.

The converter does do some simple category detection prioritization, preferring one category to another, for certain categories. It could be further customized to better handle your data. But I'd need to know your labels for categories that are mismatched for your data.

It's entirely up to you how you want to handle your importing - I'm happy to help. Just let me know what you want to do. Feel free to reply directly via email if you want - my address is at the top of the convert_to_1p4.pl script. It may take a little back and forth until I get a sense for your categories and field labels.

• bglassbe
    bglassbe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MrC. Apologies for the delay in replying.

I have a lot of clean-up to do, so I'll probably start from scratch. It's long overdue. If I figure out some of the patterns that might make it easier to import instead, I'll reach back out to you. Thanks again for your help!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bglassbe: On behalf of MrC you are very welcome! He is great. :chuffed:

Let us know if you have any other questions about 1Password, we will be happy to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.