1Password X Sync with Desktop Applications

Any chance that 1Password X will sync with desktop clients for example when a user logs into the 1Password Desktop or 1Password X it should automatically unlock both applications

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: 1.9.7
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jhjm32087! It's an excellent question. If you're asking whether it works that way now, no. It's something that may be possible in the future, but remember: 1Password X is designed to work without the need for a native application, connecting directly to the 1password.com servers. For the foreseeable future, you'll need to unlock both separately -- especially if you have standalone vaults within 1Password for Mac.

• dougmech
    dougmech
    Community Member

Similar question - I keep a variety of information within 1Password and like 1Password X. However, in a location without wifi I can't access documents, unlike with my opvault where the data is fully available offline. Is there a solution to sync them easily or at all?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dougmech - I suppose it depends what you mean by "sync." If you are using only the same 1password.com account(s) in both 1Password for Mac and 1Password X, then those do indeed sync to the same record on the 1password.com servers. So they are kept in sync. If you mean a direct syne between the 1Password 7 for Mac app in your Applications folder and the 1Password X Chrome app in your browser, then no. The reason for this is that they serve different purposes (a lot of overlap, yes, but substantial differences also). If you're regularly in an area without internet access on your laptop but where you still need to access your documents stored in 1Password, I'd recommend using 1Password for Mac rather than 1Password X. It's perfectly possible to use them both on the same device, since if you're out of internet service range you won't be doing any filling/submission of web forms anyway.

• dougmech
    dougmech
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Lars - just a couple of clarifications. I'm using windows and android based systems. I've tried many password managers and do feel 1Password is the best and improving constantly. The way I have things structured based on my needs is that I use 1Password X with chrome for ease of online transactions. My password.com account is complete and always up to date and usually accessible. On my laptop I have the desktop ap that my 1Password account keeps sync'ed. For offline and local backup needs I perform a copy of all entries into a local vault, except Documents. Those I download and archive for offline access and local backup in a folder labeled Attachments. Is this the best solution in your opinion for what I'm doing, or am I missing something? Thanks again. Doug

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dougmech: Thanks for clarifying, and for the kind words. I'm glad that you're enjoying 1Password and that you've got a setup that works for you. That's currently the best way to accomplish your goal of saving a local backup, but we would like to make it easier in the future. Just keep in mind that if something happens to your 1Password data on that device a local backup is likely to be affected as well, so automatic offsite backup for 1Password.com is more critical. However, we do want to make it easier to export everything both for portability and archival purposes. Thanks for your feedback on this!

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member

I've got a similar question. When will the app and extension be linked. I find 1PasswordX to be a clunky way of editing or adding new items, especially non-login items. I tend to go to the Mac app in those cases. The 1PasswordX extension is much much better as an extension than the Mac App extension. The Mac app browser extension is linked to the Mac app, though, while X isn't linked. It's rather annoying to be gaining access twice constantly. Also, 1Password Mac keeps prompting for a login when it thinks I'm creating a new login on a site somewhere with X. That's really annoying. If you don't want to link them, then why not make the Mac app browser extensioni as good as X in browsers--problem solved. I get that their meant for different use cases, but as I've said, one is better for database maintenance while the other is better in the browser. Oh, it's also annoying when I need a password for something outside the browser, obviously.

Thanks

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @virtualbartek – we hear you. I'm glad you're enjoying 1Password X, but I agree, it would be much better if it communicated with the 1Password for Mac desktop application. I've got some great news for you, though. We recently introduced Desktop App Integration that allows 1Password X to talk to 1Password for Mac. That should solve a lot of the issues you brought up. You can learn more about it here. As far as 1Password offering to save Logins when you're using 1Password X, I'd imagine what I just mentioned will resolve that, but it also sounds like you may have both 1Password X and the legacy extension enabled at the same time. They aren't meant to be used together, so I'd recommend removing the extension named "1Password extension (desktop app required)" to avoid the duplicate popup.

If you decide to install the 1Password X + 1Password for Mac betas and begin using Desktop App Integration, please do let us know what you think!

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member

That's great. I'll keep an eye out for the Firefox Beta (If I can remember to). I didn't have both extensions running, but I
    turned off suggesting to save logins in the mac app and maybe that will help. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just keep in mind that you can just use the 1Password desktop extension with the Mac app instead of 1Password X if you prefer that:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.