Is 1Password X supposed to be in sync with 1Password Desktop data wise?

My 1PasswordX has a lot of entries that are not showing up in my 1Password Desktop and I want them to be in sync no matter where things are added or deleted from, is it possible?

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 1.8.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Unsure

Comments

• Hi @draco,

1Password X syncs with your online 1Password account. You can see what entries are in your account by signing in at https://start.1password.com/.

The desktop app can also sync with your account and have the same entries. Is it possible that you're using a different account with the desktop app? You can see which account you're using in 1Password for Windows from the Accounts menu. Please double-check that it has the same information (name, image, email address, Secret Key) as the one in your web browser.

-Mitch

• jefftb
    jefftb
    Community Member

I've noticed a significant lag in the sync.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

When you say "lag", do you mean that the items do sync but it takes a while or do you find you need to quit your browser in order to get the items to sync? I've heard a few reports similar to this but we still haven't been able to track down a particular set of circumstances or conditions to reproduce it…

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ 1Password
    Fort Worth, Texas

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Version 7.2.574, 4.7.2.90, Windows 10
    I have the same symptoms. One and only one of my Windows PCs is suddenly not syncing anymore. Every other device across the board (web, PCs, iOS, Android etc.) are all up to date and in sync. Of course the PC with the problem is properly connected to the internet, no proxies, VPNs or other stuff. What would be the steps to control and fix what's wrong?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@pawo I think this will be most appropriate in the Windows forum. 1Password X syncs your data to its local cache just like other clients but the extension for the desktop apps that you have doesn't have any data of its own.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

I opt out here now. It works again. I uninstalled and re-istalled 1Password because I lost my temper. That has fixed it, even when I will never know the root-cause.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pawo - well, I'm not sure that's the kind of solution we can really publicize, but I'm glad it worked for you! :)

• maxrebo82
    maxrebo82
    Community Member

@jxpx777 I have the issue where 1Password X in Chrome will have old data until I restart Chrome. I assume this is not intended to be "normal" behavior?

For instance, changes in 1Password for Windows app will sync (near) immediate to the 1Password web site but Chrome will still be old - even a day later and hours of Chrome running fine.

• I'm sorry for the trouble, @maxrebo82.

We have been tracking a similar issue and believe we may have found the solution. If you're game, can you install the beta and see if the problem is fixed there? We have a few things we're trying and it will be much quicker to experiment in the beta channel.

++dave;

• maxrebo82
    maxrebo82
    Community Member

@dteare - I just installed the beta extension in Chrome and so far it appears to work as intended. I threw a secure note into the Windows app and saw it appear right away on the 1Password X (beta) Chrome extension. Next I modified the note and immediately went to Chrome and saw it updated there as well.

Good news, thanks!!

• Awesome! Thanks for the update, @maxrebo82!

Please let us know if the issue occurs again. Fingers crossed it doesn't! 🙂

++dave;

• GreyTeardrop
    GreyTeardrop
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Hi! I see the same issue with my fresh 1Password install. I ran 1Password X 1.9.0 and then upgraded to 1.10.0 and later 1.10.2. I see that 1.10.1 changelog lists a fix for sync issue but it does not seem to help in my case.

As an example, I have just registered on the forum, saved login entry via 1Password X, and then updated it via the web client. You can see that web client has updated login name but 1Password X still lists the old one. I've made screenshots 1 hour after I've made changes to make sure it's not just minor sync lag.

Locking and unlocking forces sync.

Is there anything I can do to help resolve this issue? Capture some diagnostics or something?

P.S. I've written this post a couple of days ago but wasn't able to post it due to some forum issues. Anyway, the issue is still there for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@GreyTeardrop: If I'm understanding you correctly, and 1Password gets the new data when you unlock, that's expected. I'm sorry for the confusion that caused, but I'm glad that you are able to get the updated data. We're hoping to find a way to make that more intuitive in the future, but it's a hard problem to solve since 1Password is designed to work offline (and, frankly, most people expect it to). If there were no local caching, 1Password would just have to check with the server all the time, and this wouldn't be an issue. But for now, if you're making changes somewhere else while 1Password X is open, you can refresh its data by locking and unlocking.

• GreyTeardrop
    GreyTeardrop
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for the clarification. Indeed, that behavior was not expected for me and even reading this thread kept my assumption that 1Password X is supposed to sync with the account in real time. Frankly, that's what I observe for some time after I unlock it - it keeps fetching changes made after unlock. But at some point (can't tell when, maybe, after another laptop sleep?) it stops syncing without another lock-unlock cycle.

Can you clarify why the expected behavior is different to 1Password for Mac or iOS? Is the plan to do the same for Mac/iOS apps? Right now they seem to sync in real time.

P.S. It would be great to have some "refresh" button for 1Password X that can update local storage without locking it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

@GreyTeardrop: Yeah I'm sorry that it isn't that simple. It doesn't come up often though since most people aren't using 1Password in multiple places simultaneously. Nevertheless, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We're looking at potential solutions to this problem, but suffice to say we have a lot more flexibility with regard to changes being sent and received in real time with a native app. macOS is generally the best at this because (in my opinion) Apple has done a lot of great work in the area of scheduling and notifiers. 1Password for iOS, you'll find, doesn't sync anything unless you open it (if you just open the extension, you'll see whatever data you had the last time you opened the app). Windows is pretty troublesome in this area, but we've got more flexibility because it's a desktop OS, and we've made some advances there. I'm going to have to admit ignorance of the state of things with raged to Android. 1Password X, since it runs entirely in the browser's sandboxed extension API, is limited in many ways. All around it's a technical challenge, and the tools we have at our disposal on each platform vary significantly. We'll keep at it though. :)

• GreyTeardrop
    GreyTeardrop
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for the detailed explanation!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Hopefully we'll be able to come up with a way to streamline this though. I agree that it would be nice if we never needed to even think about it. :)

This discussion has been closed.