What is the account (.1password) for? Are my passwords stored on 1Password servers?

queenhorizon
queenhorizon
Community Member

I have 1Password 6 installed and installed 1Password 7 on my Mac. It prompts me to register for a 1Password account. What is the account (.1password) for? Are my passwords stored on 1Password servers? I would love to keep on syncing my data via iCloud (not via 1 Password).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS High Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What is the account (.1password) for? Are my passwords stored on 1Password servers?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@queenhorizon:

What is the account (.1password) for?

It's for AgileBits' 1Password subscription service. See this AgileBits' knowledge base article:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Are my passwords stored on 1Password servers?

Yes.

I would love to keep on syncing my data via iCloud (not via 1 Password).

You can still buy a standalone licence for 1Password 7 so long as you download 1Password 7 from the AgileBits' store and not from the App Store (as the latter supports only the subscription model). There are some hoops you have to jump through in order to avoid being lured into taking out a trial subscription and the 1Password support site is less than helpful on that particular issue but buying a licence is do-able with care. (Forgive me for quoting in part from a post I made in another thread earlier today.)

If you still have difficulty in working out how to buy a standalone licence, or want to know more about the subscription service, just post back here.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @queenhorizon! Sorry for any confusion. Did you download 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store or directly from our downloads page? If you want to continue along with standalone data/licensing, you'll need to download directly from us. If you chose the Mac App Store, you'll have noticed that we no longer offer standalone "licensing" in the Mac App Store version of 1Password, for a number of reasons that were enumerated in this blog post from our CEO, Jeff Shiner. Is this what happened to you? Downloaded from the Mac App Store, but looking for standalone 1Password?

You asked "are my passwords stored on 1Password servers" (when using a 1password.com account); the answer is no. We never have your plaintext passwords, or your Master Password (or, in the case of 1password.com accounts, your Secret Key). What is stored on 1password.com servers is an unreadable (by human or machine) blob of ciphertext that only you have the keys to decrypt, locally on your own device. We can't be tricked or coerced into revealing anything about the contents of your data because we simply don't have (and lack the means to acquire) your decryption keys.

It's also important to understand that this is broadly similar to what happens if you have standalone data that you choose to sync via iCloud (or Dropbox): you use the same local 1Password app to encrypt your data with your (hopefully) long and strong Master Password, then send that ciphertext to a central server which performs sync functions among multiple clients (your devices). Only, with 1password.com accounts, we've strengthened things in a way that's not feasible with limited 3rd party sync APIs. That process is called 2SKD (2-Secret Key Derivation), and it makes your encrypted data on 1password.com servers even more resistant to attack, much more than is possible with any 3rd party sync setup.

Ultimately, of course, it's your choice how you'd like to proceed -- standalone/3rd party cloud sync or 1password.com -- but if you choose the former, you'll need to download 1Password from us directly. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• queenhorizon
    queenhorizon
    Community Member

That helps. Thank you very much.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@queenhorizon - you're quite welcome; glad I was able to help, and feel free to drop by anytime. :)

This discussion has been closed.