Rest TEAMS account master password

DBinNYC
DBinNYC
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Business and Teams

Have an issue with master password. I have a personal subscription (dbrady65@*****.com) and recently set up a teams account with my work email (dbrady@***.com). I cannot remember, nor did I write down the master password for the Teams account. How can I reset JUST that one and start over? The two accounts are merged into the 1Password app on OS X.

1Password Version: 7
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
_OS Version: OS X
_Sync Type:

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DBinNYC - sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, if you didn't write down your Master Password and can't remember it, then the only way to recover your account will be if you are not the only Administrator on your 1Password Teams account. If at least one other member of your 1Password Teams account has Administrator or Owner privileges on your 1Password Teams account, you can ask them to help you recover your account. But if you're the sole Admin/Owner, then unfortunately the entire rest of the team will not be able to function without an owner. You and other team members may be able to salvage your data, depending on the situation, but can you let me know whether you have the capacity to have another team member with Admin/Owner privileges recover your account? How we proceed will depend greatly on this.

• DBinNYC
    DBinNYC
    Community Member

Thanks Lars,

Yeah, unfortunately I am the sole admin. I do have the ability to pull stuff out of the vault I created via the app (ver. 7), but logging in via the web is what has me stumped.

I've sent this request in via tweet and ticket, so I hope thats OK.

We are simply looking to evaluate Teams at this time (my work colleagues and I are about 6 people). There are only 30 items in the team vault. If you can give me steps to do this, I'm pretty sure I can manage.

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@DBinNYC - the good news here is that you are still signed into this 1Password Teams account within 1Password 7 for Mac, which you can unlock with the Master Password for your other account. That means you can pretty easily create a new vault in your personal 1password.com account, then move your work items to it. Any vault you have access to, you'll be able to do this with. The vaults you won't be able to do this with are going to be the Private vaults of your team members. If any of them have put data into those vaults, they'll either need to do the same move-to-new-vault-in-separate-account maneuver I just described for you, or they'll have to export that data as an unencrypted .1pif file to their desktops and then re-import it into a new 1Password Teams account (I'm assuming here that you'll want to create a new 1Password Teams account to replace the old one?).

In order to delete an account, you'll need to write to our email support team at support@1password.com from the address you used to create the account. Reference this thread and say you want to delete the account, and one of my colleagues will send you out a deletion email with a special link that will allow you to delete the account. Once that's done, the name you chose will become available again in our database, allowing you to use both the same email addresses and the same name to create a new 1Password Teams account. Make sure you don't delete the account until all of your team have exported and secured their data, because this step is irreversible. Let me know if you have any questions.

ref: HJL-68229-518

This discussion has been closed.