To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrade to 1Password 7

charlbury
charlbury
Community Member

I purchased 1Password for Mac in 2013. I have just ran the upgrade to 1Password 7 and I am in all sorts of trouble. I cannot login or enter a license code or scan a QR code or enter a 1password domain name.

How do I use 1Password 7 with the license key that I have from my 2013 purchase, or, is it that you are preventing people with existing license keys from upgrading and I cannot use 1Password 7 with my 2013 license key?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

1PW7 needs a new licence, or a subscription.

If you haven't started setting up anything, it's fairly easy to do. But if you have got part way, you could be stuck, in which case more details are needed and an AgileBits staff member can help.

If you haven't started, on the first screen there is a big green button saying Subscribe Now and below it in a much smaller font the message "Need a licence. We have those too." Click on that to buy a licence, which currently costs $50 as an initial discount.

And, after that, you will ultimately get to a screen asking if you have used 1PW before and if so where is your data.

There is a strong case for getting a sub, especially if you use more than one platform; see https://support.1password.com/why-account/

But you can buy a licence if that's what you prefer.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

Welcome to the forum, @charlbury! @danco's already hit the main points here regarding 1Password 7 for Mac being a new purchase for everyone. If you haven't looked into a 1password.com account, I'd recommend clicking the link in @danco's post -- a lot has changed since the 1Password 3 for Mac days in 2013. If you have any questions about pricing or about how to migrate your data, let us know! :)

ref: RPD-65624-599

• tonewheel
    tonewheel
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Similar issue. I've been using 1Password since day 1, many years ago. Yesterday I installed 1Password 7 (having used 1PW 6) and wrongfully, apparently, thought the upgrade would take, and it was no-charge. I'm quite clueless about a subscription or key or ??. Do I simply have to pay for a new subscription or key or whatever, and is one less expensive than the other or ?? Thanks.

• Hi @tonewheel

1Password 7 is a separate purchase from any previous purchases. To get the most value from 1Password I'd recommend a 1Password membership, which includes the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices. You can learn more about migrating to a membership here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And you can learn about some of the benefits of doing so here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2018

@tonewheel I can understand why you thought the upgrade would be free. After all, the upgrades from 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 were free. But it is very uncommon (though not universal) for major upgrades to be free, and it is perfectly fair for AgileBits to charge.

The problem with a licence is that the upgrade from 7 to 8 (when it appears) is likely to have a cost, whereas with the sub all upgrades are included.

The problem with a sub is that over the years it may well turn out more expensive than a licence. However, licences are per platform per user, whereas subs cover all platforms and are available as multi-user subs as well as individual ones, which may well change the balance of costs.

• danco makes some good points, though I would argue that cost alone is not the only consideration regarding the value provided. While a subscription could in the long run end up being a more expensive investment, it would be a more valuable one.

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, I agree. In that comment, I was only focussing on cost, not on value for money.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@danco - you're not wrong, but the cost proposition itself varies depending on one's individual situation, too. For a single individual who uses only one major desktop platform, licenses will indeed probably turn out to be somewhat less expensive in the long run, depending on how often we release major version upgrades, and what the costs associated are. Now that we've finally tackled the monster of having a disparity between people who've purchased from the Mac App Store and people who've bought from us by making the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac membership-only (no standalone purchase), we'll likely get back to a more-regular paid upgrades schedule for licenses. But I'm mostly speculating here as I'm not involved directly in such discussions, and I don't think any firm course has been charted for it yet, anyway. To quote the great Yogi Berra, it's tough to make predictions, especially about the future. 😉

I just wanted to point out that even from a purely cost-based perspective, the argument for a subscription vs. a license will vary depending upon individual situation. For someone like myself, with a wife and two teenage kids who all use 1Password and who have a real use-case for sharing many things such as the family Netflix password, NY Times password, various software licenses, etc, a 1Password Families membership was a total no-brainer for us. Even if we (AgileBits) released only one new paid version every two years (and that seems on the long side), if I had to purchase four 1Password for Mac licenses at $65 each ($260), that would still be more than double my cost for a 1Password Families membership for the same two years ($120). If it was just me, then the $65 for a license would be slightly overtaken by the $71.76 I'd spend on an individual membership over the same period. A difference of $6 or $7 over two years is certainly well within the "rounding error" range for most people's budget, meaning one could (and probably should) be thinking of other considerations when deciding whether to go with a membership or a license in such a situation. But it's worth noting that that's the best it gets, money-wise. If we release on a faster schedule, the cost proposition changes. If I purchase a laptop PC and need 1Password for Windows, the cost proposition changes. If I want to add a family member, it changes. Just some food for thought for anyone else reading this particular thread.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I totally agree with you. I did indicate that, but only briefly and in very broad terms. Your details make it clearer.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.