To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to setup 1Password 7 to use standalone with subscription payment

Geomedes
Geomedes
Community Member

Hi together,

I'm intending to use 1Password7 with local keychain and subscription license, with no data stored outside my Macbook and company premises. There is quite a lot of information here in the portal, yet a I have not seen a clear guidance how to setup and use this scenario. Apologies if I may have overlooked this.
In particular I have the following questions:

• Is this scenario (local keychain with subscription) supported with 1Password 7?

• When opening 1P7 I'm requested to migrate my old agile keychain into a newer format.
    What will this do? Will this still be an local keychain file?

• After installing 1P7 over my 1P6 and the subsequent account creation, my local password ended up similar to the login in the online portal.
    If possible, I'd prefer a different password to unlock my locally used application compared to the online app (which will not be used anyway).

As an aside:

• After filling credentials in a form based login, 1P7 does not automatically submits the data, a separate click on eg. "login" etc. is necessary
    Is there any way to change this back to 1P6 behaviour where this was done automatically?

I general 1P is an outstanding app! Thank you the last years of best in class password management.

Best
Markus

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Local/WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:How to setup 1Password standalone with subsription

Comments

• Hi Markus,

Welcome to the forum.

Is this scenario (local keychain with subscription) supported with 1Password 7?

It isn’t generally recommended, but it is possible, yes.

When opening 1P7 I'm requested to migrate my old agile keychain into a newer format. What will this do? Will this still be an local keychain file?

1Password 7 requires the OPVault format for Folder Sync and Dropbox sync. Agile Keychain is no longer supported. OPVault is backwards compatible with 1Password 6 for Mac. If you aren’t syncing with Folder Sync or Dropbox sync you don’t need a sync file at all...

Please note that Folder Sync is not designed to be a solution all by itself. The intention is to create an OPVault file in your local file system that you can then sync using a tool like rsync to sync between computers.

To best answer this question I’d need a little more information. Could you post a screenshot of the prompt you’re receiving? It is possible that 1Password is prompting you to migrate your data to your membership-based Personal vault, but it is also possible that it is prompting you to do the Agile Keychain -> OPVault migration.

After installing 1P7 over my 1P6 and the subsequent account creation, my local password ended up similar to the login in the online portal.

If possible, I'd prefer a different password to unlock my locally used application compared to the online app (which will not be used anyway).

Once you create a standalone vault (1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Enable creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts) 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for the first created (“Primary”) vault. Of course if you do this it is still critically important to remember the credentials for your 1Password membership so you can manage billing.

After filling credentials in a form based login, 1P7 does not automatically submits the data, a separate click on eg. "login" etc. is necessary
    Is there any way to change this back to 1P6 behaviour where this was done automatically?

Auto-submit relies on some technology that is being phased out (for good security-based reasons). As such auto-submit will likely be going away entirely: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/450850/#Comment_450850

I general 1P is an outstanding app! Thank you the last years of best in class password management.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Ben

• Geomedes
    Geomedes
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your lightning-fast response. After applying your recommendations everything seems to work as desired.
    Also the issue with the "migration pop-up" disappeared after I created a new standalone vault and WLAN sync to iOS works, too.

For other users that may have a similar setup (upgrade of a standalone vault to 1P7 with subscription) and the desire to start over with a fresh primary vault:

• Backup of data via 1P
    • Delete the old primary vault (Menu Bar: Vault -> Switch to Vault -> "on my mac: Primary", then Vault -> Delete Vault). Should you have secondary standalone vaults, those apparently need to be deleted as well.
    • Create a new standalone vault (Menu Bar: File -> New Vault -> New Standalone Vault)
    • Restore backup or - as in my case - sync data from ios 1P to Mac 1P

For increased usability of the standalone vault, check if you like the following preferences (in tab Vaults):

• Alway open to: "Primary"
    • Show in all vaults: check only "Primary"
    • Vault for saving: "Primary"

Please comment here, if you have better solutions for this issue or best practices for running standalone with subscription.

Best
    Markus

• Thank you for your lightning-fast response. After applying your recommendations everything seems to work as desired.

You’re very welcome. I’m glad to hear it worked out.

Please comment here, if you have better solutions for this issue or best practices for running standalone with subscription.

It seems you’ve done everything that I would have. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.