My account is frozen but I have a license key sent by support, how to add it manually?

Options
Roma2468
Roma2468
Community Member

I have 1Password 6. But my account/vault is frozen. It won't let me set up syncing. It keeps asking me to update billing information but I have a license emailed to us by a support person. However, when we click on it, it says "Downloading your license from the AgileBits server..." But it just hangs up and doesn't update. How do I add the license manually to the License Folder? I have not been able to set up syncing yet because there is not an icon for syncing in preferences.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 689001
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:My account is frozen but I have a license, how to add it manually?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Roma2468 - There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

What appears to have happened in your case is that you've signed up for a 1password.com account (that's the only way it would be frozen), but you've also been using standalone vaults as well. Can you tell me: when you open 1Password Preferences > Vaults, how many vaults can you see, and what are their names? And also: do you want to use a 1password.com account going forward, or standalone vaults and local data, and a license?

• Roma2468
    Roma2468
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

We bought the 5-license family plan for the stand-alone product several years ago which takes us through V.6, and are finally getting kids to use it. I believe you are right that this situation was a result of this kid signing up for an account when they want to be using the standalone version instead. I guess the question is how to transition to the standalone, or, getting rid of that account and starting a brand new standalone vault that can sync to iCloud? We don't care about losing the data in that account.

BTW, we understand V.7 is a paid upgrade - How much is that upgrade for our situation?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Roma2468 - gotcha, thanks for the clarification. And excellent questions, all around!

So, a few things: firstly, if you have an older family license, great: that will work up through version 6. But since we released 1Password Families accounts, we've retired that "family" style of license. Standalone licenses are still available for 1Password 7 for Mac, but they're sold per-person. which means you'll need a license for each person in the family, and that can mount up fast if you have multiple family members.

Right now, individual licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac are on sale for our launch special at $49.99 per license, which is a nearly 23% discount from what will be the regular price of $64.99. That said, $50 x 4 is $200, and x 5 = $250. I can't say when 1Password 8 for Mac will be out (we're still concentrating on the release and fine-tuning version 7), but even if it's two years from now, the cost of a 1Password Families membership for up to five family members for that time would be $119.76 as compared to $200 or $250. And the 1Password Families membership allows each of you access to all four of our 1Password apps (Windows, Mac, Android and iOS), so if any of the family use, say, a PC at work instead of a Mac, you can just download the version you need at no extra charge, sign in and be on your way. That's just one of a host of advantages of a 1password.com account, but another would be easy sharing of items via 1Password Families' Shared vault, which allows everyone to use items in that vault.

I bring this up because aside from all the stuff at that link, it's simply less expensive to go the 1Password Families route, and if you're thinking you may want to do that, you'll have a different strategy. Whatever you decide, I can help point you in the right direction.

In terms of getting rid of an unwanted account now, you only would need to sign out of the account in Preferences > Accounts. Select the account and click the minus button in the lower left of the main 1Password window, and you should be all set. If you already had standalone vaults inside 1Password for Mac, you'll need to enter your Master Password for that to continue, but if the account was all you had, then it will revert to being as if you were a new user. At the new user screen, choose to sync via iCloud, whichever was your sync method, and you should be able to add your license file by double-clicking it from the license email, and also see the sync panel in Preferences. Let me know if you have any questions.

ref: AMZ-94338-215

This discussion has been closed.