Suboptimal behaviour

Very confused by this new offering. What is it? How does it differ from the existing browser plugin? Will it replace what I already have?
Its certainly prettier but that was about the only good experience I had with this offering.

I have a teams account and a family account. When I installed X I had the same problem as others where it would only unlock based on the account password I typed in. This requires me to remember which account has the password item in it that I need. More often than not I guessed wrong.

I switched both accounts to use the same password on the expectation that both vaults would unlock. This was not the case in my experience.

Ive given up and disabled the plugin and gone back to the old app based plugin.

👎

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.9 and 1.9 (for X)
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Teams and Family

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the bad experience you had, @AUSFestivus. 1Password X is intended to be an independent 1Password client, so right now, it needs to be unlocked separately. You can use 1Password X alongside the native applications, but right now, they're entirely separate. We have some ideas for how they can cooperate better in the future, but I don't have anything more to share about that right now.

1Password X has some of its own quirks the same way that 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows behave slightly differently on some fronts. One of these is the unlocking behavior you described. On 1Password for Mac, if you have multiple accounts with different master passwords, there's a mechanism in place to handle this so that all the accounts can be unlocked together. This has honestly caused some confusion and headaches and made development more complex than it ought to be, so for 1Password X, we have erred on the side of not implementing this sort of scheme. I do agree that we could do better with showing that you have matching items in other accounts or the like. This isn't as straightforward as it seems but it would be possible with some work.

If you have switched to using the same master password on both accounts, then 1Password X should unlock them both. It might be necessary to remove and re-add the account whose password changed in order for 1Password X to properly handle things.

If 1Password X isn't working for you, the extension for the desktop apps still works great and makes a great companion for the native apps. But if you find you want to try 1Password X again in the future, please do and let us know if the experience is better for you.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ 1Password
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.