Why Does 1P Want to Store Password It Just Filled In?

Options

Hi,

I just started using Windows 1Password with the Firefox extension using passwords imported from Roboform.

Sometimes I visit a web site, the 1P extension fills in the UserID and password, I click OK, and then 1P asks me if I want to save the UserID and password that it just filled in.

If 1Password just filled in the information why is it asking to store it? Is there any reason to save or not save? Does this have to do with porting form Roboform?

Thanks,
Mike

1Password Version: 7.1567
Extension Version: 4.7.2.9
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @MikeA01730,

Thanks for reporting this.

Just to be clear, 1Password does not support automatically filling your data without your intervention. If you're visiting a site and you see your data filled in, that's not 1Password, we don't do this for security reasons. You always have to use Control + \ to directly fill your data or clicking the 1Password icon in the toolbar.

Is Roboform enabled in Firefox? If the site's login fields are modified by Roboform, it can confuse 1Password as it may see different data being modified and then thinks it needs to save it, especially if 1Password or you weren't the one that filled it.

• MikeA01730
    MikeA01730
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT,

I'm going to have to watch and see what happens. I've been testing on 2 PCs in Firefox with both 1Password and Roboform extensions installed. I now have the 1Password extension enabled and the Roboform extension disabled but earlier both were enabled.

As I recall there were a few times times (maybe with the Roboform extension enabled) when it looked like the 1Password extension was filling in a field automatically. Sometimes it happened and sometimes it didn't, and since I was just getting started I had other more confusing things to worry about. I blamed 1Password because the visual appearance looked like 1Password (the field expanded slightly as the password was inserted) and because my Roboform extension is configured to NOT fill automatically (because like you I don't trust that feature either). In any case it's not happening now, and I agree that it's not useful or fair to draw inferences about the 1Password extension behavior when the Roboform extension might be enabled.

I'm pretty sure the "asking to save" problem occurred last night with PayPal, but now when I try PayPal it works fine. So right now I can't replicate that either.

So now only the 1Password extension is enabled on both PCs. If either behavior (automatic field filling or asking to save a password that it filled in) happens again I won't let 1Password store the password, I'll make sure it's repeatable, and I'll let you know.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MikeA01730,

Thank you for your detailed reply! :+1:

As Mike mentioned above, 1Password never auto-fills your data on the webpage and requires an action from you in order to do so. We summed up the reasons behind this decision in our blog, so please make sure to check it out:

1Password keeps you safe by keeping you in the loop

If you bump into any of the issues again, please do not hesitate to get back to us. We are always here for you. :) Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• MGDominguez
    MGDominguez
    Community Member
    Options

Hi...

I'm seeing a similar behavior, with the app asking to save/update a password that hasn't been changed at all. What I have noticed is that this happens on sites where I have either stored the password on Firefox or enter it manually. On both scenarios 1Passwords thinks something has changed and prompts me to save/update the entry. If I trigger auto-fill on these same sites, there's no prompt to save/update.

The only other extension I have installed is uBlock Origin, but it's disabled for some of the affected sites. I'm using Firefox Quantum Developer Edition, not sure if that could be the issue.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MGDominguez,

Thank you for reaching out! :+1:

Could you please try to unlock 1Password extension first and then sign in to your account (either via Firefox or manually)? Does 1Password prompts to save/update the Login item?

Cheers,
    Greg

• MGDominguez
    MGDominguez
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg

Yes, even if I unlock the extension first, it still prompts me to update the login. What I've noticed is that if I don't unlock first, the prompt is about saving the login. If I first unlock the extension then it prompts me to update the login, even though nothing has changed.

It's a bit annoying, but for now I've disabled all stored passwords in Firefox and use the 1P extension for all logins.

• MikeT
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi @MGDominguez,

That's a known limitation with using more than one password manager at the same time, they can interfere with each other. We'll try to find a way to co-exist with the browser's password managers but they do have to be turned off for the moment.

What you saw is normal, 1Password does not know what existing data you have when it is locked, so only saving new login works. If you unlock first, then it can scan the database while prompting to save your data but it does know when you have the same username/password combination and won't prompt. It is not clear why this doesn't work with built-in browser managers, they may be telling us something else.

We do plan to improve this in a future update to try to detect existing data after the initial unlock and refresh the view or suppress it if we can quickly detect you already have the same username/password.

• MGDominguez
    MGDominguez
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply, @MikeT

I haven't noticed this issue before because in Safari I've always had it disabled and used 1P. In Windows I used to store the password in the browser after using the 1P website to copy/paste the credentials, but the 1PfW version is quite good now so I just started using it and ran into this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback! We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.