To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confused about some inconsistencies among the apps

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Memberships

Hello everybody 👋🏼

First I have to say I love 1Password and it’s apps! I decided to switch to a membership because it’s handling is great. I trust your security features and your team behind it.

But, I am a bit confused about sync and consistence of all apps and I don’t know when to us which app.

You provide native apps for iOS, Mac and windows and you also provide 1Password X.

I use all apps in German.

I figured out that all apps behave different from each other.

In Windows I cannot edit field descriptions like “username” or “password” for login items - the fields remain grey. Butt I can do so on iOS and Mac OS and 1PWx.

On windows the fields are displayed with “password” and “username”. On iOS and Mac OS with “Passwort” and “Benutzername”.

On windows, Mac and iOS I am able to copy items betreten vaults, but I cannot in 1PWx.

Markdown only works on iOS for me. On windows and Mac OS my notes are shown in plain text.

So, maybe you have kind of guide when I have to use which app - or better in what case I need to use the native apps and in what case I should use 1PWx??

Thanks und advance.

-remo

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

No one there to clear my confusion?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Well, meanwhile I figured out how to “clean up” the description labels to me needs. I don’t mean custom labels. That they are editable I knew before. I do mean the standard description labels within a login template. Pretty strange, but so what...

One of my most important questions remains:
    When should I use 1Password X and when should I use the native apps + their according Browser plugin? Is there any recommendation?

-remo

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@remo10 Just an fyi, this is a public forum, not a chat room. The folks at AgileBits are generally very helpful and prompt, but as this is a weekend, their responses may be a little slower than usual. As for your last question, 1PasswordX is a strictly in-browser extension so it will only work with Chrome and Firefox so far. As for when to use it, that's pretty much up to you. Use it for general web surfing and use the native app for things like editing and clearing up login items, filling in non-logins like Secure Notes, Drivers licenses etc. HTH

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Hi vplewis,
    Thank you for your response. That helps be a bit for my decision. I thought there’s a need to use 1PasswordX exclusively over all desktop native apps.
    Maybe I have to wait for the AgileBits staff to come online to clear my other questions.

I’ve been using 1PW for about five years now. Before activating the membership I hadn’t had any questions or problems. I never wrote a mail to the support or a post to the forum. After activating the membership two weeks ago my confusing grows and grows. I wrote a mail according another problem and I wrote two posts in the forum. In two cases, first a staff member, second you, I was put off due to high business or whatever. Of course I understand that the guys and girls have a lot to manage. But generally seen, 66% of my requests where postponed. That’s pretty poor for a paid service that is praised with high-quality support.

-remo

• Hi, @remo10.

As you've noticed, the native apps do differ a bit in what features or capabilities they support. We are always working to minimize those differences, but there will likely always be some small things.

Markdown support is new this year, so we're still working on getting it supported everywhere. Are you using version 7 of 1Password for Mac and Windows? You should be seeing Markdown rendered properly there.

In Windows I cannot edit field descriptions like “username” or “password” for login items - the fields remain grey. Butt I can do so on iOS and Mac OS and 1PWx.

I'm not following this one. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that in 1Password on your Mac, you're able to change the "username" label in the Login item to say something besides "username". Is that right? I'm not able to reproduce this behavior. I'd love it if you could post a screenshot of what you're seeing so I can understand.

On windows the fields are displayed with “password” and “username”. On iOS and Mac OS with “Passwort” and “Benutzername”.

Yes, there are definitely some inconsistencies with localization among the apps. We've been working on that a bit recently, and you'll see more improvements there in the future.

As @vplewis mentioned, 1Password X is mostly for filling logins in the browser, not editing them or moving them around. The native apps are going to work better for managing your passwords and other information.

In two cases, first a staff member, second you, I was put off due to high business or whatever.

I'm sorry we weren't able to respond sooner. I checked on your other posts and emails and it looks like we've already responded to those now. If there's still something we missed, please let me know. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Hi Rob,

please excuse my delayed response.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR DETAILED POST!

You cleared up so many things.
    After reading your post again and again, I tried to reproduce what I’ve written before. I figured out I had some basic understanding issues.

I was misleaded because of the localization inconsistencies - they are really confusing. Now I understand what’s going on and now I can handle it properly. It’ll be very helpful - maybe for other users too - if you and your team will be able to close the gaps/inconsistencies between the different platform’s apps.

Thanks a lot.

-remo

• Thanks for the update, @remo10. We'll do our best to close up those gaps. :) In the meantime, thanks for your feedback!

This discussion has been closed.