Why are there 2 1password icons in my menu bar?

Options
DaveJ
DaveJ
Community Member

Changed from v6 to v7. There are 2 icons in my menu bar at top of the screen. 1 opens the old mini, 1 opens the new mini. How do I get rid of the old one?

I've moved the old '1Password.agilekeychain' file from it's original location, I thought that would be enough to disable v6 without completely deleting it? I'm hesitant to remove all of v6 because this upgrade process has been chaotic to say the least, I don't want to delete everything and then find I need to retrieve information, or even go back to v6 if v7 doesn't work out.

As a side note on this 'upgrade'...it's been a mess, I'm really disappointed that it seems that not too much thought was put into the user experience...I only found out about the change when I set up a new macbook and was told that the keychain/vault would need to be migrated to a new version. That set off alarm bells for me as that was the first I'd heard of the change. Then I went back to my original macbook and decided to upgrade and pay, installed v7 and have had constant problems e.g. read only please buy prompts, my password list doubled in size until I worked out how to remove duplicates as v6 was imported into v7.

The product until this upgrade, has been great, that's why I subscribed (despite feeling though I had little choice and virtually no notice...upgrade or my password list of 200+ logins may be rendered unreadable). But this changeover has been very messy & confusing for myself & the many other users I've seen venting their frustration on this forum.

I hope some lessons have been learnt and this can be avoided in future?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 1.9.0
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:menu icon

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@DaveJ when you installed 1Password 7 it should have created for you, in your Applications folder, a zipped copy of your 1Password 6 installation. If that zip file exists you can safely drag the 1Password 6 app file to the trash (because you can always download a fresh copy of 1Password 6 if you need to revert to it and because your 1Password 6 data is within the zip file). Just don't use any app cleaner app when dragging the 1Password 6 app file to the trash—because it will simply encourage you to delete files that you probably need to keep.

1Password 6 and 1Password 7 store their data in different locations.

Stephen

• DaveJ
    DaveJ
    Community Member
    Options

(1) No zip file, see screenshot.

(2) So how do I know I have a backup of my v6 password list? Just keep this file '1Password.agilekeychain' ? And how to get rid of the extra icon in the menu bar? Screenshot below...

(3) v7 doesn't keep anything in Dropbox anymore?

• DaveJ
    DaveJ
    Community Member
    Options

Also, am thinking it might be simpler to uninstall 1Password v6 & v7 from my macbook and start again, just install v7 fresh.
    How do I make sure my password list/database is backed up...you mentioned it's stored in a different place now, is that locally on my macbook or in the cloud via the 1password site?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @DaveJ! Sorry for the confusion and difficulty upgrading you've been experiencing. There was actually quite a bit of thought given to the user experience, but there are also a number of potential moving parts here, all of which can (when experienced together) result in some confusion. For one thing, there's the upgrade from version 6 to version 7. For another, you can (but aren't required to) switch from standalone to a 1password.com account. Then there's the possibility that you may have downloaded 1Password X by mistake (or intentionally), and a couple other differences as well, such as the retirement of Agile Keychain as a supporte sync format in 1Password 7 for Mac. Most people don't experience all or even most of these things at the same time, but that's what appears to have happened to you. Let's see if we can get you squared away!

First of all, don't worry about your data. 1Password 7 keeps its data in a different location in your user library than previous versions, and even with older versions, deleting the 1Password app does not affect the data itself. It sounds as if you previously had 1Password from the Mac App Store. If so, your (version 6) data will be located at ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite. The SQLite file is your actual data (encrypted, of course). It's not affected by the import process. The Agile keychain in Dropbox is just the sync keychain. In an earlier post in this thread, you mentioned you "....went back to my original MacBook..." - can you say a bit more about that, please? How many devices had you previously been using 1Password on, and what version of 1Password were you using on each? Are these the same devices you'll be wanting to use 1Password 7 for Mac on, or will there be additions/substitutions? Which device is the screenshot above with the two 1Password minis from? And on which of your Macs did you install 1Password X?

To try to answer your own questions:

1. That's correct; when you install 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store, it does not zip up previous installs of earlier versions like the version from our website does; it just installs the new version alongside the old version. This is due to sandboxing restrictions. Sorry for the confusion there.
    2. Pretty sure I answered that one up above, but if not, you don't need the .agilekeychain file.
    3. That depends on whether you use it in standalone mode or with a 1password.com membership. If you have standalone data, you can sync it via Dropbox in 1Password 7 for Mac just as you could in earlier versions, except you will now need to use the OPVault format instead of the Agile Keychain format -- that's the message you received that made you alarmed. If you use 1Password 7 for Mac with a 1password.com membership, whether individual, 1Password Families or 1Password Teams/Business, then all syncing is done through the 1password.com servers, not Dropbox or iCloud or anywhere else.

Hope that helps. If you can let me know what the situation is currently with your various devices (as well as whether you plan to use a 1password.com account or standalone data), we'll get you straightened out! :)

• DaveJ
    DaveJ
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,

• I signed up for the 1password.com membership during the change from v6 to v7, I have an active account
    • I am not using, or wanting to use, the standalone version
    • Previously I had 1password 6 on my Macbook Pro, and the app on my iPhone
    • I have added a Macbook Air (OSX had just been reinstalled), that's where I installed 1password 7 recently and it's working, I'm logged into the 1password account/membership
    • Macbook Air is working fine with v7 via the account
    • iPhone is working fine with v7 via the account (I updated the app on the iPhone)
    • My original Macbook Pro is where v6 and v7 seem to both be, it's where the menu bar has 2 different icons for the 'mini' and 2 applications in the application folder

My Plan:
    Part A...
    I intend to remove v6 & v7 from the Macbook Pro (using an app cleaner) and start again with a fresh install of v7, from the Mac App Store. I'll then connect it to my account and it will get my password list from your servers & everything will work as it should for v7. Is this simple plan going to work?

Part B...
    If Part A works as expected, I'm likely to upgrade to the family account for v7. How do I make this happen without any of the confusion of the recent changes from v6 to v7??

Thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DaveJ - sounds like a well-thought out plan. :) A few thoughts: do NOT use any sort of app cleaner or uninstaller to remove old versions of 1Password for Mac, under most circumstances. These types of programs are very powerful -- often too powerful; they can remove more data than we want them to in some cases...such as the user's actual data. In worst-cases, we've seen users delete their entire data store and all the backups by a "clean sweep" and even aside from that, you can delete key preference or other files that can cause unpredictability.

My question for you at this point would be: is all of your data successfully transferred into your 1password.com account? You can verify this if you're not sure by visiting your account in a browser instead of one of the apps. Give it a thorough look, and if you're certain you've got everything there, then you won't need such an aggressive maneuver on your MacBook Pro anyway. Instead, do this:

1. Fully quit both versions of 1Password. If you still see either version of our icon in your Mac's menubar, hold down your option key and click it, you'll see an option to quit everything fully.
    2. Open Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder (inside the Applications folder) to make sure no 1Password processes are still running. If they are, quit them.
    3. Drag 1Password 6 for Mac to your Mac's Trash. That will leave the older data in place, just in case. It doesn't conflict with any of the version 7 stuff. Open 1Password 7 for Mac, but don't unlock it.
    4. Click on Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data This will reset everything currently in the 1Password 7 for Mac database so that next time you launch, it will be as if you had never used version 7 previously.
    5. At the "Welcome" screen, choose to sign into your 1password.com account, and you should be set across all your devices.

Regarding switching from your individual 1Password account to 1Password Families, all you need to - at any time - is begin inviting people. Visit your account in a browser (not the app), and in the right sidebar of the main window, click "Invite people" or "Invitations." You can use these instructions, though you may not even need them; the process is pretty straightforward. Anyone you invite will receive an emailed invitation from us on your behalf, saying you've invited them to join your 1Password Families account. The rest of it will be essentially the same procedure you when through when you signed up -- choose a Master Password, get a Secret Key. Once that's done, you'll get a notification that their sign-up is waiting to be confirmed. Return to your account in a browser, and confirm them, and they'll be a full-fledged member of your family. :-)

• DaveJ
    DaveJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I've followed those steps to reset v7 and all good so far.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DaveJ - excellent! I'm glad things worked out for you. Let us know if you run into any further difficulties. :)

This discussion has been closed.