Can't Autotype password to specific application.

Options

I play a game called OldSchool Runescape on a third party client called RuneLite. (https://runelite.net) This program won't allow me to auto type my login info because the program isn't detected. When I right click in 1Password and select either username or password, and then copy, RuneLite isn't shown on the list. However if I use OldSchool Runescape's default client, it is detected and will allow me to autotype my login info. I'm not sure if this is something that can be fixed. However, if anyone has this same problem or a fix for this I would love to know. Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 17134.191
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kwilt,

Thank you for reaching out!

It sounds like RuneLite has a non-standard window type, so you don't see it in the Type-in-Window list in 1Password. Please check this reply from Mike in a neighbour thread.

Auto-Type is not fully implemented in 1Password 7 at the moment, Type-in-Window is only the beginning.

Please let me know if it helps. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• kwilt
    kwilt
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg Thanks for this information. I've found a fix for my problem thanks to that other thread. RuneLite, by default, uses a custom window style but offers an option to use Windows' standard window styling. I turned that option on and now 1Password will let me type in my info! :+1:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kwilt: Fantastic news! It is cool that RuneLite offers this option. :)

Please do not hesitate to contact us again, we are always ready to help you with 1Password. Have a great week!

Cheers,
    Greg

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg Is there any chance you will expand the recognised window types to include simple dialogues, e.g. the OpenVPN username & password prompt?

• Hi @roy_orbison,

Probably yes but it would most likely will be improved when we implement the Auto-Type feature. The problem we found is that even if you could get it to work, many apps that have that simple dialog would dismiss the view as soon as you shift focus away from it.

With Auto-Type, you can keep that window focused while calling on 1Password to type your data in.

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member
    Options

None of the password prompts I have – that 1P fails to recognise – disappear like that.

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

It was a remote desktop app, I can't recall the name at the moment. It prompted with username/password, we bring up 1Password mini and the dialog disappeared.

Anyway, it will be improved in future updates but no general timeframe.

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any progress on this? I'm still having to cut and paste passwords, and the clipboard is not really a good medium for them. There are pretty common programs affected by this such as OpenVPN client (it use certificate + password), Adobe Creative Cloud, MS Edge was mentioned in another thread.

Can't there be a generic solution like Type in last focussed window? I.e. 1Pass could relinquish focus and just "type" so that the keystrokes can be collected by undetectable windows. If you're worried about this being too insecure for the average user, hide it behind an advanced pref with a warning.

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member
    Options

Mostly I'm having trouble understanding why 1Pass cannot emulate a keyboard without worrying about target window given KeePass has been doing this for years. I understand that 1Pass may not want to implement full keystroke navigation and credential entry macros like KeePass has (though it would be cool), but being able to generically autotype single fields would solve 99% of the problem, avoiding destructive and insecure clipboard use.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @roy_orbison,

Have you checked 1Password 7.4.753? This version supports drag & drop, so you can drag any field in the main app, or the field name in 1Password mini’s context menu, to any text field in any application to fill it in.

I know this is not a fully-fledged Auto-Type, but it is convenient, so please give it a try and let us know how it works for you. Auto-Type is still on our list, but I do not have any news about it right now. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member
    Options

That worked, thanks. I did notice that the drag does not survive Alt + Tab, as when dragging say a file from explorer to another program. I'm not even sure if that's possible for anything but a system app though.

• Glad to hear that works for you, @roy_orbison!

Instinctively, I actually feel like it should with alt+tab too, but you may be right there's a less obvious limitation there. Regardless, I'll get some clarity from our development team and if it's something that can/should work, we'll see what we can do. I've plenty of screen real estate on my desktop and it's not looking like I'll be traveling any time soon, but as soon as I'm on the move again I'd wager I'll be hankering for this to work with alt+tab on my Surface so might as well get ahead of things if I can. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.