Password suggestions with symbols

Options

I use 1Password Google Chrome extension and the suggested passwords, when changing password, do not include symbols. They are only alphanumeric. Is it possible to change the password suggestions format and also increase the number of characters?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.9.0
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member
    Options

Uh oh, I just realised I posted this in the wrong channel - Lounge. I don't see a way to delete this post. Is there a way to move this thread to the right channel?

Happy to move that, or delete this post, if possible. I am sorry about this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arunsathiya: No problem. I moved it. :)

It isn't possible to change suggested passwords, as they're designed to be both secure and compatible with the widest number of websites, hence 20 alphanumeric characters.

You can, however, use the Password Generator in the 1Password X menu to customize your own generated password. That will also retain your settings for the next time.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member
    Options

This does help, thanks! Although, this can be even better if we can change the default size. Something like a setting? Hopefully will be available one day. 🤞

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arunsathiya: Can you tell me what you mean? You should be able to change all of the various settings in the Password generator.

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yes, that is most definitely possible. But, my concern is that, there are three kinds of password recommendations on the 1Password X extension's password generator.

• Random password
    • Memory password
    • PIN code

Can you add another option called "Super secure password" with 60 characters, and symbols included by default?

Does that make sense?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arunsathiya: Setting something like that as the default doesn't make any sense at this time as it's wayyy overkill and unacceptable to most sites anyway. But you can absolutely select this yourself:

That will give you about 327 bits of entropy — if you can find a website that will allow it. :tongue:

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member
    Options

Haha, right. :D I have been on 1Password only for a while, and I want to make the most off it.

About the screenshot, you have shared, that's right. I have been doing the same as well, but these settings don't seem to be saved for future use.

If I am right in that understanding, that is a feature that I would hope to see one day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha, right. :D I have been on 1Password only for a while, and I want to make the most off it.

@arunsathiya: I hear you! Not to mention it's just kind of fun to generate passwords. :lol:

About the screenshot, you have shared, that's right. I have been doing the same as well, but these settings don't seem to be saved for future use. If I am right in that understanding, that is a feature that I would hope to see one day.

What OS, browser, and 1Password version are you using there? Saved settings for the password generator were added a while ago. I just reopened my browser and got the same thing I sent in the screenshot earlier. I wonder what's different in your case.

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

@brenty I am on Mac OS 10.13.6 with 1Password X 1.9.0. Pretty sure the setting doesn't save for another session. It gets reset for me, unfortunately.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arunsathiya: What browser version are you using, and what are you clearing between sessions? ;) I just opened it again here and it's still got the same settings from the other day:

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I have stopped using Google Chrome. I am using Firefox Quantum now, and hopefully it should work as expected. I cannot try to reproduce this on Google Chrome anymore, but let me check how it works on Firefox Quantum.

On a related note, there is this bug with 1Password X on Firefox Quantum - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/94578/generated-password-has-no-numbers-even-when-toggled-on/p1?new=1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. Keep us posted. :)

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again! Just to keep you posted, it seems to work as expected on Firefox Quantum - meaning, the state of these toggles is maintained on new app launches. All good now. 👍 🙌

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great! Thanks for the update. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.